Internet scams

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, May 5, 2004.

1. Hey all. I've recently come across a number of internet ads for "get-rich-quick" type schemes and among these are a number of websites declaring that they will pay you to be a "secret shopper" or take surveys and participate in forum groups online for market research purposes. Of course, in order to access these surveys you have to pay a membership fee.

Now, this sounds like an obvious scam to me and were these simply pop-up ads I would have completely ignored them. What confuses me though, is that I came across these ads when doing a real job search on what I would consider to be a reputable web site, run by the government, listing real job ads across the country. I wouldn't have expected this type of ad to be allowed on that site.

Has anyone come across these on other reputable job listing site? Aren't their job listings screened? Does anyone know what the real deal is with these ads?
  2. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That does sound a bit odd. OTOH, I've worked at music retail stores since I was old enough to have a job, and "secret shoppers" do exist. The store/corporation I worked for hired these "shoppers" from an independent company to evaluate the employees and stores.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It happens...but I view them like stock brokers ----- If they're so damn smart about the market, why hasn't their knowledge hustled enough money where they could retire insted of preying on laborers?

They're losers who are still selling bags of peanuts to make a buck. :p

Guys like Waren Buffet are where it's at !
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You should never pay to get a job (like those secret shopper ripoffs.)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the time in emails, some of them are actally well written. Like a buissness proposal that takes my investment.
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My wife is always on the lookout for something she can do from home and we have found that all of that stuff is a rip.