Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Internet Sharing of Chords, Lyrics Targeted

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    <p>If you use the internet to download lyrics and chord charts to help you figure out basslines, better download them while you can. </p>

<p>According to a December 9 report by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), the U.S.-based Music Publishers Association is calling for a halt to websites that share song chords and lyrics.</p>

<p>The move is an escalation in the copyright war against file-sharing on the internet.</p>

<p>Guitar licks and song scores are widely available on the internet but are "completely illegal," association president Lauren Keiser told the BBC.</p>

<p>Amateur guitarists and bass players have long copied popular songs by ear. The internet has become an alternative source for when they can't figure out a chord.</p>

<p>Keiser called for closing of sites that share guitar licks and lyrics and recommended jail time for site administrators who don't comply. <a href="http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=cbc/arts_home&articleID=2114592">Link</a></p>

2. Am I alone in thinking that this is going too far?

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    not at all.

pretty soon talking about a song is going to be grounds for copyright infringement.

so pathetic.
    half of the times lyrics and chords put on a site are not correct anyway, because they are fans, not the artists themselves.

4. NKVD

NKVD

Nov 22, 2005
    its Bull**** :spit:

5. Yah, that's a bit much. I don't see how they'd win this battle, seeing as most of the online sites stipulate that you put up your own interpretation of the song. If people were copying a tab out of a book and posting it online, they might be able to stop that from happening.

Regardless, it's still not even illegal to d/l mp3's from P2P networks in Canada, so I definitely don't think that'll apply to us canucks.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh please, this is stupid, I swear this must be protected because this is artistic interpretation not reproduction.

Once again it's a case of the industry bigwigs not having a clue what they're talking about. Tabs don't compete with sheet music. Most songs are never release in sheet music anyway! This is getting beyond a joke now. I mean, some good bands I know give away tabs and lyrics on their site, I think we can be sure that it sure isn't the musicians who care here.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So, I think I will patent air and breathing.
    From now on, everyone who breathes, has to pay me royalties.
    If not, they should suffocate.
    I rule :)

:rolleyes:

8. This is pure BS to the max. What exactly are they attempting to protect here? It's not like anybody is making money out of those web sites. On a related note, I am a big fan of Steely Dan and I particularly like Deacon Blues. I tried to make out the chords by ear, but they didn't sound right, so I went to a website and got the chords. Most were right, some were wrong, so I purchased the complete steely dan chords, piano and lyrics book (I think hal leonard). The chords to Deacon blues are WAAAAAAY wrong. So I guess they're also trying to throw us off by printing the wrong stuff.

9. They tried this once a long time ago. Not much came of it. Then they moved on to free music downloads. They must feel they have a hold on that. So now they're moving back to tab.

10. If anyone finds a petition in support of online tab/lyric databases please post it here. I am sure it won't take long for somebody to start one up in defense of such.

The record company execs are so completely out of touch. It's actions such as this that will continue to alienate consumers. I remember they also tried this with the midi websites years back.

I am all for supporting an artists rights to their property, but actions like this current move to close up Tab/Lyric sites is of no measureable benefit to the artists themselves. Once again, it's the execs. trying to squeeze every last penny they can out of the fans and artists. :spit: :spit:

11. This has to be an Internet Hoax. Chords are not copyright material and neither are chord charts. If someone decides to chord chart a song, that is not illegal. I actually talked to a lawyer about this. People do cover songs all the time---just think of the consequences with something as ridiculous as this...

And even if it is a hoax, it will never take effect.

12. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Rock & Roll used to be about buying a bass for 150 bucks,finding a used Ampeg or Peavey head, & whatever cabinet you could find to go underneath it. The next thing was to practice & go out & play cover songs in a band at clubs & parties for $25-$40 a night. Now everything is greed,greed, & more greed. What's next? Will we have to pay royalties for playing a cover song in a bar?

13. if this actually happens i think we should start a boycott on all music from big label industries. this is bulls---.

14. Hear, hear! Boycott the greedy bastards! They can't get away with this! Anybody know what acutall bands think about this? Metallica was against Napster, but are they against Tab sites?

15. Technically, I believe the venue is responsible for paying royalties to the appropriate parties if they hire a cover band. I don't think it happens very often.

16. Looks like mysongbook.com is gone. To bad

17. I think this is not going too far, it is totally insane. What's next? Somebody lifting a patent and collecting royalty on the chromatic scale?

Just a thought, can't operator move their website to a non-US based served one instead of closing them? I'm sure they are obscure countries where this is not upheld (like Canada for one).

18. Ultimate-Guitar is not going down. You will be able to get all your chords from them... Medick (UG's engineer) assures me that since they are based in Russia, the MPA won't be able to take them down.

The most rediculous part about this whole copyright infringment thing is that it is now illegal for a guitar store employee to play a riff on an instrument for a customer. That I just find insane. I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second... I know the bands have to make money, but I don't understand how they are losing money from any of this. Plus, if you don't have to rely on tabs, you learn SO much more from transcribing and learning songs form ear. I stopped using tabs in March, and I have improved so much since then. It really helps develop your ear. Anyways, I hope at least Ultimate Guitar stays up. And nothing has been done about the tabs here on TalkBass, so we should be fine. I love the music industry, I just hate their lawyers.

19. IM surprised they haven't hunted down venues that play jazz. Searching musicians for The Real Book.

20. Eleven fingers

Eleven fingers

Sep 14, 2006
    BTW, Nicoli said that the venue is responsible for paying cover band royalties. Actually, the greedy music nazis just say "someone" has to pay the two music publishers (I can't remember their names). Usually the venue pays their tribute, but we've been told that our band is responsible for verifing that the venue has paid. If they haven't then we are legally responsible. The bar we ususally play has been warned but the owner refuses to pay (as do we). We'll see what happens. Civil disobediance!!