"Internet shorthand" writing....anyone else get annoyed by it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I must say one of my biggest pet peeves is people who write/type like they are 12 year olds. I openly admit I have bad spelling and grammar, but what is up with some of these people? I received a message from some girl on Myspace, she was about 20/21.

The message was this "hey I saw your photos and there good. u seem cool do u have more for me 2 see"

I click on her profile to see if she's legit, and she was. Seemed like any normal girl that age. Unfortunately I couldn't read any of her profile because most of her profile was written like this.

All her friends leaving comments on her page, they all typed and wrote the same. I know the American educational system isn't that great, but why are so many people writing like this? It's mostly with the younger people.

Do these people even know basic reading and writing skills or do they just not care?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I received an email from one of my student's mother not long ago that was the same type of thing. I was thinking "How old are you lady?!" She's my age or older and writing to her kid's teacher writing "2" instead of "to", "cuz" etc...

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now which of you bastions of wit is going to be the first to respond to this thread in netspeak?

4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I think they just don't care.

I can understand doing it when there's a character limit (like in a text message) but otherwise... ech. It's much easier to read real words.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You dislike internet typing yet are part of the biggest internet bandwagon (myspace) to be seen thus far. I'm not sure there's anything to do.
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I did jump on the Myspace bandwagon, I can't deny that.
  7. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Get a novice Ham license and use morse code. U is a perfectly acceptable. It is dit dit dah as opposed to dah di dah dah,dah dah dah dit dit dah.

If you are describing a female goat however you would need to do ewe.

dit, di dah dah, dit

8. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    This crap annoys me even more-- oMg lOoK @ hOw Im tYpInG, iM sOoOoOoO bAdAsS!!!111!!!11!!!!!
    I personally don't see how someone could stoop so low to type like that. Whenever I see something written like that I can't help but thinking that the author is white trash or something of the like. Sorry if that offends anyone, but then again I don't see who would admit to being white trash, or if someone types like, there's no argument I see that could possibly justify such a monstrosity.
    Honestly, I have gotten a headache from trying to read a friend's myspace profile typed like that.
    Oh, the joys of the internet.
  9. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    ... --- .-- .... .- - ?

10. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think part of the reason for the shorthand is a carryover from text messaging on cell phones, PDAs, etc. It'd drive you nuts trying to type every word out on a cell phone keypad. Heck, it drives me nuts trying to do it shorthand on a cell - I gave up on text messaging from a cell pretty quickly.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That was being done long before text messaging was popular on IRC and whatnot. It's a carryover from laziness.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    kids don't talk much better either.

one of my girlfriend's classes was canceled... why?

well according to some kid. "she ain't show up" :rolleyes:

as for internet speak. i usually don't care much for puncuation and capitalization... but i almost always type out all my words, and always use contractions and spell them correctly... one of my biggest pet peeves in when someone says "your going to a show" or "youre bass is cool"... ick... i just hate it
  13. I hate the Their, There, and They're problem, but I forgive Then and Than, because hell, I don't even know when to use those 2.

I'm guilty of I "got" something instead of I "have" something, but I hate when people say "I seen you yesterday." I mean, that doesn't even sound right!
  14. I have no patience for those who defy the Grammar Nazis.
  15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I will only type like that for instant messaging....and/or when I'm drunk. It's faster.
  16. Lolz U guyz iz crazy OMGZ jus chill out 4 a sec b4 you have a heart attack!

Ain't nuttin rong wit talkin' lyke dis!

Yeah I hate them too, I won't use any internet lingo such as "lol" because of it.
  17. Than!? I have never seen that used in speech or written language anywhere. Someone want to attempt to write up an example?
  18. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    bigger than livejournal? .. hmmm.. toss up
  19. Even though I never jumped on the myspace bandwagon, I still see it all the time. How interesting can some people be if they are too lazy to type out a few extra letters?

As far as the livejournal/myspace toss up...around here, 1 of my friends has a livejournal. Other than her, I have not encountered anything but myspace. Might be the same with aim/msn/yahoo messenger, most people I know have AIM, but obviously the other services are used heavily. Must be a regional thing.
  20. Hi! I'm lurking from the DB side, and thought I would share a trick I learned in college: Use "then" when referring to a time in space, "They will bring the music with them then." Use "than" when making a comparison, "Joe is a better bass player than Bob."

Hope that helps :)