Internet Tabs vs. My Ear

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lazy, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I just started to figure out alot of basslines by ear and am starting to suprise myself at how well I can actually figure them out! All I do is hum the bassline over and over again with the CD, then I turn it off and keep humming and then I find the notes on the bass one at a time! After I figure out the line, I play along with the song to get the groove down and to see if I'm missing anything. This method seems to be working for me quite well and has allowed me to learn more basslines in a week than I've learned in a couple of years using tab.

But, sometimes I go online to look at the tabs and compare them to what I've figured out and I've found that almost all of the tabs I look at are totally different than what I hear on the recording. Some tabs I play seem to have "added" notes that I cannot hear at all on the CD and it makes me wonder whether or not my ear sucks, or are internet tabs unreliable???:confused:
  2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Some internet tabs are unreliable, because people "tab" them and post them. It all depends on how good the persons ear is. If you think you have a good enough ear, you should figure out the songs by yourself to help your ear "progress" Some people use tabs as a crutch and that's not very good. If all a person reads is tab, it is going to be very hard to learn standard notation, and harder to develope a good ear.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Also, understand that if you keep transcribing by ear and quit using TaBs, you'll have to change your screen name.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used TAB for a while before actually working at learning the songs on my own.

The truth is, its easier to learn the song by ear, correctly, the first time, than it is to learn it by TAB, realize the creator of the TAB is tonedef, and relearn it because the origional transcriber got it completely wrong.

Besides, it helps to develop better skills is improvising if you can play what you hear. Only difference is that instead of playing what you hear on a cd you play what you hear in your head.

5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hehehe. :D

Lazy, the way I see it, you are already teaching yourself these basslines by ear. Who says the person who tabbed out the song you want to learn figured it out any better than you, right? Don't automatically think you are wrong cuz you looked at a tab, after teaching yourself the song by ear, and noticed the tab is different than what you have. That's all tabz are: Someone learned a particular song by ear and put it up on the internet. (And this person may, in fact, have a very bad ear. What's the point when you can do it yourself? And it's far more valuable along your path to figure the song out on your own.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    From my experience, they usually have a really bad ear.

8. Yeah, but people who post songs in standard notation USUALLY have a much better ear in my experience and are way too rare
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    True, but its still better to develop your ear and learn it on your own.

I wish I had better reading skills though.

That reminds me, one thing that I used to do to develop my reading skills was play something I learned by ear as I read the notation. It helps me recognize notes by playing them.

10. On occasion I've checked the tab for a song I'd already figured out by ear simply out of curiousity and I've found that they are rarely anywhere near mine. I think most people who write those are completely tone deaf.
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe we're tone deaf?

12. :Gasps: Well I never...
  13. :confused:
  14. maybe I should have added a wink or something...
  15. No, I don't think it was necessary at all.
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    :D Thats a good one.
  17. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    What if you tab a song out yourself. Is it okay to use that tab or is it going to hinder your progress? Just curious.
  18. IMO it's ok, BUT it is better to use standard notation because when writing a song down you will automatically become more proficient with sight reading.
  19. I like to compare tablature to notecards some high school teachers let their students use on tests. Sure, it's a nice and handy crutch that everyone will use at some point, but you don't really learn anything.
  20. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Most people that post tabs are on FRIGGIN CRACK

enough said about that, heh