Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interpol!..

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tecx, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    the bass player from interpol is freaking AMAZING!.. This guy has damn cool lines, and he has groove... I really dig his playing...

Alex

ps. the new interpol cd "turn on the bright lights" is very worthy of purchise...

2. I wouldn't say he's that amazing--and the band's groove feels mighty stiff to (I saw them live back in January, they're not particularly funky)--but you're right, Turn on the Bright Lights is an awesome record.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I think their groove is supposed to feel stiff, though...

I agree that Carlos comes up with some great lines that really drive the songs. I'm going to see them next week and am looking forward to it. TOTBL has been in my regular rotation for a while now.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    umm by groove I ment that he sets the bed down for the majority of the tracks...

5. Oh, I always think of "groove" as implying some sort of danceability. Semantics, I guess.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    true, true... But we can both agree that he is pretty good.. Thats all that matters...

:D

Alex

7. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Wasn't there a thread here a couple of weeks ago about Interpol?
    Anyway, Carlos is IMO an excellent bassist, even if he doesn't make me want to get down and shake my booty.

8. I must admitt Interpol has a very good bassist adn he works very well with the guitar. If u like interpol then u should listen to this band that is better then them and that influnced them greatly. The band is called Joy Division. They pleyed in england in the late 70's but right before they came to america there lead singer, Ian Curtis, comitted suicide:( . I suggest buying a record of this band or downloading there songs. Trust me if u like interpol u will love them.

p.s. Joy division actually usses more bass and little guitar than interpol

9. You know, I don't get the whole Joy Division thing with Interpol--honestly, other than the similar voices of the lead singers, Interpol often reminds me more of Wire.

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    well since I have been listning to them for 20 years, and play several of thier songs I think I know... :spit:

;)

Alex

ps. I agree man, more on the bass... Have you heard Squarpushers cover of "love will tear us apart"?.. And ian did not only commit suicide, he did so in his parents bedroom on christmas eve... very very sad :(

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Wire ROCK!.. Feed Me is one of my favorit songs of all time... Great bass player, he uses all kinds of crazy midi stuff now....

Alex

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I think the Joy Division thing is blown out of proportion, too.

I've been getting into Television (the band, not the appliance ;) ), and I see a lot of their influence in Interpol's sound.

13. Oh, definitely--all of those early post-punk/art-punk bands are a huge influence on their sound.

I gotta say, though, the ultimate post-punk band was Gang of Four. Anyone have any recommendations for Gof4 followers I should check out? Fugazi and RATM are the oft-cited ones, and the first Q and Not U album and the early Dismemberment Plan both demonstrate some Gof4 tendencies, but what else?

14. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    My first impression was "Television meets Echo and the Bunnymen" :eek:

15. If you like Gang of Four, you should check out Pines of Nowhere. I think they have one record out. Not sure what the label is, but I might be able to find out.

Gonna check out Interpol this Thursday in Boston. Looking forward to it.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Um, wrong on both counts.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. most of the people I've heard make the "Interpol sounds just like Joy Division" statement don't listen to much Joy Division.

It's not that they sound so much different. Just that. . .they don't sound so much the same. (Joy Division's sound changed quite a bit over the years - so that's kind of a funny thing to do (compare them) anyway)

18. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ouch... thats the last time I listen to mtv again... Sorry, but I am actualy a huge Joy Divison fan - even though I made that huge blunder... Yeeps...

Alex

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I saw Interpol last night. Great show - Carlos is a very animated performer, more so than the other band members.

It was cool to hear one or two songs that aren't on Turn on the Bright Lights.

I wasn't impressed by the Raveonettes. Pretty standard neo-garage-rock. The woman playing bass and singing was quite attractive, though... ;)

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    http://joydivision.homestead.com/history.html