"Interstate love song" by Stone Temple Pilots

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Papersen, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Here´s the story:

I was bit bored at home in a typical Saturday afternoon, so I decided to learn a tune, just for fun. I started to rediscover STP last year, mainly their bass lines, so I decided to give this one a try, mainly for 2 reasons:

1- IMHO Robert Deleo is one of the most underrated rock bassists, period. As I learned the line, I found how well made it was. Fluid motion, catchy groove, technically interesting. He´s gradually becoming one of my main influences when I approach new tunes.

2- It was a good chance to test my Peavey Cirrus, to see if I could get a decent P bass tone. Cirrus are mainly known for their hi-fi tone (mainly slap), but I wanted to check it out in a different setting.

I gotta admit my playing is so-so, but my goal wasn´t to show my technical skills.

Here´s the result

Intersate Love Song - STP
  2. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I agree. We play it, and I enjoy playing that song.
    Now, if you don't know it yet, go work out Plush.
    Another nice bass line in that one.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Can I please change your period to a question mark... please... I'm going to do it... watch me now.... here I go...

Well Mr. Paper, that's a good question, and I'm glad you asked. The answer unfortunatly is NO, and here's the reason. About once a month, there is a thread where it is stated Robert Deleo is one of the most underrated bassists in rock. If this is stated often, then he is not underrated at all.

TONS of rock bassists have listed him as a big influenced. To be honest, I think he's good... but OVERrated, but that's just me. Good player though.
  4. Bass81

Oct 25, 2003
    I think the chorus is genius. Scotts vocals ride with the bassline there. Honestly, because of how the guitar is mixed in I don't think alot of people get too hear his basslines as good.

I played this song on an acoustic bass live last summer, very close too the original version. I had to do backup vocals and it made it kinda hard.

As far as TIGHT basslines that fit in between the drums, that keep the guitarist in time, and ride the vocals. I say Robert is the man, and a perfect example of...you don't have to slap to be a great bassist.
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I agree with, partially. I find the OVER - UNDER rated thing a "bit" subjective. I know Deleo is quite popular here at Talkbass, but he´s not obviously worldwide reknown. He was in prominent band during the 90´s, but few people knew about his "basslines". I found myself in the same situation when I rediscoverd John Taylor from Duran Duran, and I´d been listening to that band since their beggining.

Anyway, I know there´s a direct influence from JPJ and going a bit more in the past, James Jamerson.
  6. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Standard Temperature and Pressure is also one of my major influences.

chemistry, anyone? :D
  7. thanks for taking the time to record yourself/your bass..good post
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well, I'd judge BASSISTS opinions by the people here on talkbass... after all, it is a worldwide gathering of bassists. Of course, Deleo isn't worldwide reknown, but what bassists are? Abrasively in your face bassists: Flea, Les Claypool, Nikki Sixx, Gene Simmons. Bassists known more for personality than playing.

Though, the first two are respected bassists, take Dirk Lance from Incubus for example... he is just as good as those two, (IMO Better than Flea), he was a laid back individual who just sat back and grooved while all the rockstars of the band surrounded him.

So to judge if a bassist is well respected, I judge talkbass... if I'm to judge if a bassist is a pop star, I ask the MTV watching populous.
  9. Every time I hear Robert Deleo, I think of John Paul Jones....

I like STP, especially the album Core....but if you like their rhythm section, you might want to check out Led Zeppelin...

My drummer told me he liked STP a while ago, and wasn't really fond of Zeppelin......it took him a while, but he saw the light!
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I kinda see the JPJ likeness. "What is and What should never be" kind of sounds like something Rob DeLeo would play. With his staccato scale runs he sounds more Jamerson-esque to me.
  11. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

in Kelvin & KPa , or Rankin and mmHg?
  12. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    definitely agree with this. everyone goes nuts over flea and his retardedly simplistic slap lines. now he's good, but dirk has some awesome funk/jazz stuff which i respect 100 times more.

and lance, deleo and krist noveselic are three of my most influential bassists, regardless of other's opinions of them. why would i want to conform to what everyone else likes? then the world would be pretty darn boring.

just my 2cents.

btw, back on topic. interstate love song is SWEET. my band has been playing it for a year, and we do it pretty damn well. along with plush, creep, big bang baby, big empty, and sour girl (another AWESOME bassline, btw).
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My band GUM played this song, I thought we played it great and I loved playing it. I was outvoted though, the singer (my brother Pat) thought it sounded bad so we dumped it.
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah it was a fun tune to play. I did it and plush. I liked I.L.S and sex type thing the most. Sex type thing is easy as pie and will literally shake the roof off the place! I would vote sex type thing one of the best songs for a drunk crowd!