Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intersting e-mail exchange with Glenn Cornick - Jethro Tull

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was reading some threads on Gibson basses yesterday and Glenn Cornick's name was mentioned. I found his website, and I thought he was the guy who played bass on the song "Aqualung". I think about the only thing better than Martin Barre's guitar solo is the bass work underneath it (for classic rock stuff, of course). So, there was a place to e-mail Glenn Cornick, and I did - talking about this particular song. Before he could e-mail me back, I learned that it was actually Jeffrey Hammond who played bass on this - Glenn had been replaced by Jeffrey Hammond. Glenn was really cool though, he replied back, and told me that it wasn't him...that he had been fired from the band just before "Aqualung". Not sure exactly why he got "fired".

Anybody agree with me - that the bass guitar work on this song is amazing? Back then, these guys had really low-tech equipment, but man could they make it sound good!

Skel

2. Glenn was a great bassist and a big influence not just on my playing but also Steve Harris (Iron Maiden). Steve's signature rapid fire 32nds at the end of many Maiden tunes may have been inspired by Glenn's similar endings on at least one early Tull song.

- Dave

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Dave - did Glenn play primarily with a pick or fingers?

Thanks - Skel

4. I just checked his site: http://www.cornick.org/

Based on the images I saw, looks like he generally used his fingers.

- Dave

5. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    It can't be amazing since I'm able to play it.:) It is one of my favorites, though - especially during the guitar solo.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I guess I mean "amazingly tasteful". I can play it as well, but there is no way I would have been able to come up with most of the stuff I can copy. I can play the bass line from Pink Floyd's "Money", but to create that line, even in its simplicity, is amazing. I guess that's what I mean.

Skel

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You mentioned a lo fi sound... I prefer the production on that album to the modern sound. It's strange, I love old school production... post mono/huge reverb... but 70s classic (especially prog) rock had the best tonality out of all albums ever.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Strange? No. +1 to that sound!

Skel

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Glenn played live with fingers but used a pick in the studio.

I was never impressed with Jeffrey HH, he was taught to play by Ian Anderson and it shows, esp. on Aqualung. His playing seems stiff, as if he's playing by rote.

The reason for Cornick's firing seems simple enough to me...Anderson was slowly rebuilding the band with players more willing to follow his lead. Jeffrey had been a close friend for years (each of the first 3 Tull albums used his name in a song title!) and Anderson was willing to make the same call many of us do: sacrificing killer chops for the right personality.

Starting with "Stand Up" one by one the founding members of the band were all fired. After Aqualung it was drummer Clive Bunker's turn. Unsurprisngly, the whole direction of the band shifted dramatically from riffy blues-rock into prog-rock with "Thick A A Brick". I never cared much for Tull after that.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, that all makes sense to me - Anderson must have been a control freak, but I'm still impressed as hell with the bass playing on Aqualung....maybe Anderson wrote the entire bass line and taught it to Hammond, or even played the bass himself on the recording. I need to listen to something earlier than Aqualung to hear Glenn Cornick, and I've never done that to this point. BTW - why is it "Hammond Hammond", instead of just "Hammond"?

Skel

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    WHen I think of Glen I hear "To Cry You A Song" (Benefit). Great riff, fine bass. Wish I still had a copy...:)

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    GC was great, Stand Up and Benefit have great bass lines that I still enjoy listenning to today.

Glen and Clive Bunker were great togehter.

I still like Jethro Tull, I really liked the JTull.Com CD but JT was never that same after Glen and Clive left.

grrg63 likes this.
  13. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond because his father's last name and his mother's maiden name were the same. So he hyphenated his last name as a joke. Like women sometimes hyphenate their last names.

rtav likes this.
  14. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ...and Barriemore Barlow's name was another victim of wordplay. His name is Barry Barlow, but with the two "Bar's" in his name it was felt that he should be one more Barry - so Barriemore.

ON another note, as Bonham said Barriemore Barlow is the best drummer England's ever produced (and he was INCREDIBLE!) and I agree with Bonzo until Gavin Harrison came along.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Old post, but since it has a few fallacies...

Glenn Cornick was asked to leave because of personality conflicts. Clive Bunker quit because he wanted to spend more time with his wife. John Evan lasted till 1980 and left when Ian said he wanted to do a solo album, and Martin Barre was in Tull up until Ian pulled the plug on them. It was pretty clear from the beginning that Tull was Ian Anderson's band, so I really don't think that it had anything to do with exerting more control. How much more control can you have than writing all the songs and making all the business decisions?

16. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I saw Tull in Carbondale in 1979. Stormwatch tour. John Evan was a trip. I think Dave Pegg was the bassist.