Intersting sound with a sock...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I'm not usre if this goes here, and if it doesn't, could a mod please move it? Thanks.

Well, tonight I was fooling around with the thought of making a mute for my squier P/J to see what it sounded like, so I stuck a sock in between the p and j pup and turned the mid and treble all the way down, but turned both pups all the way up. I played a jazzy riff and it sounded awesome, slapping also sounded really cool, it was like slap with a hint of tone but mostly the muted thump sound with an awesome pop that didn't really pop, but had a nice sound. Just a cool thing I thought I would try.

Anyone else ever try this?

I'll try and see if I can record it tomorrow after school.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've gotten similar results while fooling around with a sock on my todger. :)
  3. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've never tried the sock thing, but i've tried jamming corks under the strings right in front of the bridge. It works quite well actually. The only problem is that it messes with the intonation, just because it acts as a new saddle.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's not a sound I want to hear amplified...
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Has anyone tried taping the sock to the top of the strings or wrapping it around the strings?
  6. MY socks aren't going anywhere near my basses! :D

I just googled "todger" :eek: :eek: :eek:
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Anytime I see Flea and Sock together I get a bad, bad, mental picture...
  8. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Tony Levin did something similar on the recording of Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" (most easily found on the greatest hits album "Shaking the Tree" which is a terrific recording).

In a 1996 interview for Making Music magazine, he said the following:

TL: [Don't Give Up] was recorded in 1985, when my daughter was two months old. I had brought her to England and had her in the studio with me. On some tracks I was wearing her in a brace on my tummy and the bass was on the other side of her. I didn't trust there would be nappies in England -I had packed my bass case full of Pampers, which I then used as string dampeners. I put a whole Pamper under the strings -an extraordinary sound. In the second half of the song where it gets really bassy it's called 'the super wonder nappy sound.'

BTW, in case you didn't pick it up from context, "nappies" is British English for "diapers."
  9. Woohoo! I use a sock on my Trogdor too. Give a whole new meaning to "The burninator"!

(Yeah I had to google Todger too. Regretting it now. Don't do image search.)
  10. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    just don't mistakenly grab and use your fefe. Your finish will never be the same again :rollno:
  11. trodger - wow, damn....time to experiment....c ya guys