1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interval Exercises in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths etc?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lincoln, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    This may sound like a silly question, but when creating and practicing interval exercises do you go up diatonically to determine what 3rd, 4th etc you are playing?

Ex. 3rds
    C-E, D-F, E-G

and does anyone know if there is a written exercise like this floating around somewhere? ( Didn't Jaco have one at some point?)

Thanks!
    LA

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  3. Not really, well maybe so..... I'm a pattern guy, i.e. Major scale box pattern.
    Code:
    Bass Patterns based upon the Major Scale box.

Major Scale Box. 
    Code:
    G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    See a chord and play it's chord tones. As every key will have two major, one major dominant seven, three minor and one diminished chord I have those patterns in muscle memory. See a chord coming up and my fingers just know what intervals or scale degrees I need for that chord. I visualize the box and let the box lead me to the scale degree I need.

Now I know I need the scale degree R-3-5-7 for a maj7 chord - yes I also know that is the C E G & B notes if the chord is Cmaj7, however, I do not think in note names, I just grab the pattern that a Cmaj7 chord needs.

So for interval or scale degree practice I would point you to the chord patterns I listed above.

Cmaj7 R-3-5-7
    Cm7 R-b3-5-b7
    C7 R-3-5-b7
    Cm7b5 R-b3-b5-b7

Get those into muscle memory and use as many of the chord tones as the music will allow, i.e. some songs only give you time for roots, others give you time for a complete four note arpeggio.

Scott's new video points out what I'm talking about. http://scottsbasslessons.com/geometric-shapes-within-your-bass-lines

4. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    so diatonically speaking if I were doing an interval 7th exercise would it be?

I - R, maj7
    II - R, b7
    III - R, b7
    IV - R, maj7
    V - R, b7
    VI - R, b7
    VII - R, b7

5. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you referring to running scales in intervals? That is what Jaco mentions on Modern Electric Bass. He mentions running scales in 6ths as most people run them in 3rds and are comfortable with that so run them in 6ths, etc.

If that is what you mean, Ray Brown's book (more for upright) has the exercises written out, you really shouldn't need to read them after a run through.

Running C (Major/Ionian) in 3rds would consist of the follow

C,E : D,F : E,G ; F,A ; G,B ; A,C ;B,D ;C

You are hitting the root in bold followed by the 3rd. The 3rd is determined by key, in this case it goes Maj-min-min-maj-dom-min-dim-root.

I don't know if this is what your after and if I explained it clearly, but I hope this helps.

7. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Bingo...and so the same holds true if there are intervals that b5s, #4s and b6s, then. And once you get it down reverse the start order— maj3rd, R; min3rd, R; etc...

Not sure why I was making this more difficult in my brain.

8. Most of this stuff is easy, we end up making it complicated.

9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Every DB methode have stuff like that. I am working my way in the Nanny Methode and like you have F major, then you have the scale, the arpeggio, scale in 3rd, in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th maybe octave, then you have a little melodic exercice in the key you just practice.

10. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    You mean something like this?

My instructor covered intervals in a similar fashion back when I first started with him. He even had it all notated out with his own version. One lesson, seconds ... all ascending, all descending*, up/down, down/up. Start with these 4 sequences in one key, i.e., C. Then move around the circle to all of the other keys. Next lesson (or when ready), go to thirds and run through the same exercises. Next, 4ths .. etc.

Cool thing about this is, let's say you're doing 3rds. By remaining in one key at a time, you find out diatonically which 3rds are major & which are minor. You'll learn some things about the other intervals, too.

* technically, using the same 2 notes wouldn't be the same interval descending as ascending (C-F is a 4th, F-C is a 5th), but you get the point of the drill.