1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Interval Training' with a metronome

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by =^..^=, Apr 2, 2001.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but all I can say is it works for me !

I use my metronome quite a bit to help with my right hand speed (and no inuendos guys !) in a similiar way to interval training is used in most sports.

Fairly simple - a gentle 5 min warm up by dialing in a tempo of 70/80 bpm, play quarter notes for 16 bars, play eighth notes for 16 bars, play 16ths for 16 bars. Repeat using a bit of variation for about 5 mins.

Once your warmed up crank up the tempo a notch and repeat for 2 mins. And crank up the tempo a notch and repeat until eventually you can't keep in time with the metronome for more than 3 or 4 bars. At this point you need to change your intervals, say alternate bars of 16ths and eights. Note the tempo at which you fail and this is your target to beat in a week !

This is just a simple repetition exercise, but the metronome adds a measurable element to indicate your progress.