Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by basikmuzik, Oct 5, 2003.

1. basikmuzik

Sep 23, 2003
    hey in funky basslines like the p-funk type, have you noticed in patterns like. for example jumping from a 1 to a 5 and back to 1. something like that? im trying to emulate that style. any suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated
  2. Sopel

Jul 15, 2003
    Wroclaw, Poland, EU
    So first forgive me my english :)

I think you're talking about cadentions - tonic, subdominant and dominant (really, i'm not sure, do you, americans call it so). On the 4-th step (in a quater) there's always subdominant, and on the 5-th there's dominant. So, if D is a root chord, the subdominant chord will be G and a dominant chord will be A. Some combinations of this three chords sounds specific... for example - if you play tonic (root) after dominant chord, it will sound like the end of pattern. Have you seen the francis rocco prestia "fingerstyle funk" instructional viedeo? There are a lot of patterns using combinations of those three cadentions... i think i helped you a bit...
  3. An interval measures the distance between two notes. To identify an interval you must know its numerical size and quality.

;) Treena
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Sopel - I'm not being rude at all I promise, but I've never heard the word cadentions?

If DMaj is the tonic (I) chord, then A7 would be the dominant (V7) chord and the GMaj would indeed be one of the subdominants (IV), but I dont see how that helps the original post?

1 to 5 what?! - Do you mean frets, beats, intervals, chords within a key? A bit more info needed I'm afraid!!