Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intervention on A&E

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 25, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of all the reality shows i have seen on TV i think this is the closest to reality then any of the others, documeting someones life as they hit rock bottom doesent get more real in my opinion. What a gift these friends and family are offering to their loved one to enter treatment to get their life back from addiction. Anyone else see this show?.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What that gambling problem wuss "Gabe" needs is to have his butt kicked.

3. MAJOR METAL

His poor parents who have to put up with that behavior.

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I let my 13 and 10 year old kids watch that program to let them see what effect drugs, drinking, etc can have on some people. Both of them are way more adult than that twerp.

5. MAJOR METAL

I believe it !.

6. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    I prefer the scraping of rock-bottom on "America's Top Model"

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When did Tyra Banks become such a "hoochie?"

8. MAJOR METAL

Anyone see it last night?.

9. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England

So you like him then?*

*Haven't seen the program, what is it about and who is "Gabe"?
    :ninja:

10. MAJOR METAL

It is about people in the hight of their addicition and it shows the impact of the addicition on them and their familys. Half way through the show the friends and family of the addicted set up an intervention to get them help. So far they have had interventions on the program for eating, video game, vicodin ,gambeling, meth , crack , shopping addictions.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You can't become addicted, you just suck really hard at them, and play them way to much in the hopes that your pathetic skillz will someday become l33t. It will never happen, Jeremy, you might as well give up now.

Incidentally, (sorry to change topic) anyone seen the Real Life episodes about Gamers? Pretty hardcore, I definately know "those guys".

12. MAJOR METAL

This guy looked pretty hooked.

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

You had to see him. He was a spoiled, whiny, 20 something brat that blamed everyone but himself for his problem. He was pissed that his parents had enough of his lying and stealing and were making him accountable for his mess.

14. MAJOR METAL

I think he was in his mid 30's maybe 34 .

15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    He could cross over to "Nanny 911."

16. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I was present during an intervention because my Mom is addicted to alcohol. The intervention didn't help and it cost my grand parents a lot of money. Interventions and going through the whole process costs tens of thousands of dollars, but I know it would be worth it. I really wish my mom would of gone, she is a really sweet and caring person, but she hasn't been organized or had a job for five years. Alcohol is also the reason my mom and dad got a divorce. I really wish she would have gone.

If you have a freind that has a problem, try to help them out. I whole heartedly believe that alcohol is a drug to some. This is why I do not drink or ever have the intention of picking up a drink.

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    While I think it's a very difficult and courageous thing to try to get help for a loved one who is in denial about their problems, the show doesn't really sit right with me. It's a gut feeling to me, but I feel like it's somewhat exploitive for A&E to air such things as part of their for-profit enterprise. I don't want to moralize about what other people should or should not watch, but it's a show that I prefer not to watch for the reasons above.

18. MAJOR METAL

Last night the 2 addicts were addicted to meth/sex and gambling, one refused treatment and the other got thrown out of rehab for breaking the rules and relapsed.

19. That was a good episode last night, i also watch the show every sunday. The most memorable to me was the woman with bulimia, because it hit home a bit with family issues, and Gabe because he really was just insane, reminded me a bit of my psycho ex boyfriend. Anyways, tho i do admit it is exploiting people with real problems, the show does pay for treatment, and the intervention and these are families that are at the ends of their ropes. It is the family that contacts the show, so it is their choice. I just find it very informing, and interesting and much better then the dreaded survivor finale the rest of my family was watching downstairs.

20. MAJOR METAL

I got fustrated at the end of this show last night because they had a young man in his early 20's who accepted treatment for his alcoholism went through 60 days of treatment and when he finished the treatment program the first thing he did was go to the store and buy a beer.