Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interviewing for a potential pro band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassplayer92, Mar 2, 2006.

1. I need some tips from you pros on getting the job. I have an interview with a up and coming female vocalist who is getting attention from record companies in Nashville. She needs to put together a band to showcase and support her first CD release next month. Her music is "modern country" if that makes a difference in your answers.

Does anyone have some good tips to help me stand out and be chosen for the audition stage?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Can you sing harmonies? I would definitely mention that.

Good luck!

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Your playing skills aside (these are obviously most important:

Dress for the part.

Be friendly and sociable.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Don't overplay.
    Don't let 'em see you sweat. Relax.
    Show up with extra gear like strings, bass.(just to show you come prepared)

I am NOT PRO, but I would find the above couldn't not help you.

Good luck!

DCat,

5. Ok, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely have to work on singing and playing at the same time.

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Do what the song needs. Don't go and pull off wootenish bass lines when all you need is simply roots. Which I guess goes with the don't over play. If there is a set drummer allready in place, make sure you make a "connection" with him or her. Just hold down the groove, and if you can, mention your vocal abilities.

Dan

7. Thanks for the tips guys, I nailed the interview and got charts to learn for the audition. They scheduled it in about two weeks. I'm going to try to go in with the music really memorized. Any other tips besides the ones above?

8. I think memorizing the music will show real potential. It'll also help with the playing and singing at the same time. I just want to echo what everyone else said about keeping it simple. If I were to sit down with a new musician to the group, I would listen to see if they are playing out or if they are trying to really fit into the puzzle. I wouldn't care if you could play like Jaco/Wooten/Hamm if you can't fit into the pocket.

Keep it simple, look professional, and most importantly relax and have fun. Even if you don't get the gig, this opens doors for other possible places you would fit in later down the road.

9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    Been there and....
    all of the above are great advice and just remember.
    Breathe slowly , look relaxed and 'BRING IT!

confidence and delivering on that confident attitude it all it takes (other than getting along and having the right look )

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Who's the female artist, if you don't mind me asking?

How many people showed up for the audition?

I ask because I've known a few female country singers in the Wichita/KC area who have auditioned me (one even hired me) and then totally screwed me over. I'd just like to save you the same fate if I know this person has a history of being a flake.

11. She's new to the scene, her name is Angel. She just completed her first full length album and is looking to promote it. I have also been jerked around by some "artists" here in the KC area; been to auditions, told I was great and they would let me know when they get the whole band together. But I've never heard back. I don't know if they lose interest, or find out the road ahead is long and rocky or what.

Anyway, I think I did more interviewing then she did. She really has her head on straight and has specific goals.

12. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Good. Just tryin' to watch the brotha's back! lol...