1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Into music / music between sets

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BillyRay, Mar 6, 2008.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Just curious as to how many bands have an intro that announces to show goers that the performance will start (not necessarily in the style that the band will perform): the beginning of the gig, especially at some place you've never been to, can be a little awkward, so the music can serve as an introduction and brake the ice quick. It's especially fun when it's something cool, but a bit goofy, such as the theme from Once upon a Time in the West: everybody knows it, it has plenty of punch and it's not too long.

Also, how do you guys handle the "between the sets" entertainement ? Do you put one of your CD if you have one ? Do you let the club owner/DJ decide what to put on ?

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    My band has a little intro jam that we like to break out. At our first show using it, Our guitarist only let it go for about 30 seconds, though, so after the show, everybody asked us what the hell was up. Next time I decide when we stop.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    We have several CD's that we play before the gig and during breaks. It's the same style of music that we play, and sometimes the same songs. It holds the mood while we are off stage and, before the gig, helps the sound guy check out the PA.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    No intro, per se, but we do like to have control of the music through the PA at the start of any set. The standard smooth, deliberate, fade like a big rock concert a few moments before you start is a great attention getter.

We are a mostly original band, but the tunes we spin are always in the same vein as our show. NEVER any material we might actually cover though, that is definitely a no-no in my world.

5. We do not do any pre-recorded introduction.

I do make a custom playlist for my SandDisk (iPod) for each show. It includes songs that we would like to do in the future, and other music that folks may never hear in bars. I much prefer to play my own stuff during the breaks, as the house jukebox or radio actually can ruin the mood of a gig. I've had more than a few requests through the years to, "make a CD of the break music!"

6. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    we come on to whatever the dj puts on but we always come off stage to big balls by acdc

7. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    We have a few that we use.
    All spoken word stuff, some montages from movies, etc.
    All run about 1.5 to 2 minutes.

We start the audio once we are all ready to go.
    We know the cues so as the audio ends we begin.

I never liked music for an intro unless it was something very unlike our music and/or dramatic.I wouldn't play US, or anyone that sounded like us, to me that would be wierd.

8. We don't do intro music, but we try to play Funk and Dance style music between sets to keep the crowd up an moving (we're a top 40 style cover band). "Baby Got Back" is always a crowd favorite :)

9. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Great ideas here! Our regular gig spot just turns on the jukebox between sets. I'd much rather have music similar to what we play to keep the patrons charged up. Usually there's no music before we start the gig off. A pre-recorded intro sounds fun and would be better than silence.

10. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    No intro...singer says the name of the song afterwards usually (while last note fades). We never introduce the next song though, keep em guessing! (we're a cover band). Before break we toss in the "don't forget the bartender" routine :).
    Between sets we have a house CD that the guitarist has hooked through the PA. Would never let them do the jukebox, first off you can't do the cool fade out thing and getting someones attention to turn it off is awkward.

11. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    Between the opener and us, as well as after the show when the house lights come up, we use "Boogie Chillen No. 2" from the 1970 recording 'Hooker and Heat'. Right at ten minutes, perfect mood for us.

12. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I brought this up to the bandleader Saturday night, and he'd already had this idea, and even been putting something together on his Ipod. We didn't do anything with it this time, but the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Between sets, the bar had the jukebox cranked, crappy music, we could barely talk/socialize, and I was yelling as loud as I could at the bartender to turn off the music so the band could start the next set, but she couldn't hear me, let alone take a drink order.

13. This was a good question. I was going to ask it myself today, but decided to do a search.

My band sometimes goes out, gets on stage, and does a 'Hollywood in E' opening bombast thing which I think is horribly cheesy. This is usually at small bars. At some of the bigger bars, we'll have this keyboard intro thingy that the keyboardist recorded - the sound guy will play it through the PA, and we'll walk up there in a very corny fashion and strap in to go.

I had a second part to this question though - when you play at a place with no backstage or somewhat hidden sidestage entrance, how do you get on a stage when it's very high? We play at this bar that has a stage somewhere between waist and chest high, and we all sort of crawl up there with our plumber's cracks showing from our jeans. It's terrible. I try to look somewhat athletic by getting up there in one hop, but I know my asscrack is killing someone in the bar. I'd like to figure out a better way to do it. Unfortunately, the stage is high, and it's cramped because we're 5 guys, and the keyboardist has 4 keyboards, plus he plays guitar, so his rig is as big as the drummer's.

Any advice for getting on and off stage without looking like a bunch of cheeseballs?

:confused:

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I think the THX tone from the beginnings of movies would be cool. A friend used to blast that over the stereo at house parties to signal that it was time to "get some fresh air" if you know what I mean.

15. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Very good point. It could be orchestral or a cappella or Tibetan flute music, to contrast with your band's rock power.

16. Yup. We do the "Benny Hill" theme. It gets their attention.

What I'd like to do is that very techno-music used at Bulls games...hehe...

have the smoke....the music comes in...the lights go down but one spotlight...."At bass....5'10"...originally from Chicago Illinois....Clifffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff Williams"

17. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS

Step-stool/step-ladder