1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Into the fire

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by countrybass5, Jan 10, 2019.

1. I got a call from an old band member who wants to get together again. He is a lead singer but he is terrible. He sings off key and he breaks time. I'm not a great musician,but I like to sound good when I play. I don't do gigs anymore so this will probably be just a weekly jam. I won't play for these guys in public because I have too much pride. Do any of you do something this crazy? If so I'd like to hear your story.

SXema, mikewalker and Ductapeman like this.
  2. Thread title made me think of the old school metal song by Dokken.

SXema, skwee, cheechi and 22 others like this.
  3. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah...maybe..it depends

HolmeBass likes this.
  4. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    Every so often I go and jam with some guys that are just horrible. Not sure why exactly. It's kinda fun I guess but I wouldn't be caught dead doing it in public.

DaveDeVille, DirtDog, hintz and 3 others like this.
  5. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I recently got together with the singer of my old band, to jam on some tunes. Just him on vocals and acoustic guitar, and me on electric upright. The idea was solid, but I realized that he's not a good guitarist and even in this setting he simply does not listen to what the bass does :bored: So I let that idea die a slow, quiet death.

I would rather play with people who make the overall sound of the band sound good.

TheBear, mikewalker and Mr_Moo like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Gigging or garage, it has to sound good to me.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    be prepared - the problem is at some point your friend and co will want to play out.

Mr_Moo, Alik, juancaminos and 12 others like this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I don't love this plan. You are essentially leading them on by playing with them. They're going impute a level of involvement and commitment you say you don't want.

I'd say tell them no thanks. So after jamming with them a few times, one says "Hey we've been invited to play at x!", you're prepared to say, "Naw man. I was just goofing, playing with you guys. I really think you're terrible and don't want to be seen in public with you"? Not a great story to tell about yourself, nevermind how unfair it would be to them.

You gotta be all-in or stay home. And honest. [a la Robert Plant] "You remember honesty?"

larryatravis, Mr_Moo, Sid s and 7 others like this.
  9. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I don't call it pride -- just wanting to have a fulfilling musical experience. I will play with weaker players as a way of keeping the supply of jazz musicians high, and to further jazz in modern society. Also, to achieve certain goals in my non-profit. It's about fulfillment and overlapping goals, not virtuosity, in my case. I realize I'm not a virtuoso, and I don't hold lack of mastery against other people if the situation doesn't demand it.

I did get an offer to perform 2 songs in a talent show recently, and I refused. For me, it wasn't pride, it was having to haul gear, probably practice with someone who had no interest in jazz, playing music I didn't like. I guess after you do music festivals with a live sound man, theater gigs with green rooms and catering, and perform with top-notch local players, things like talent shows seem like a hassle and not something you WANT to do.

Influencing the decision was this organization's unwillingness to pay a professional piano player $75 to perform with me, as they did in the past. We used to play 2-3 hours at events. I did it for free, but asked for a pro pianist. The former leader did it willingly and was very appreciative. A new person took over and he refused to pay the piano player at their other events. So, when they called asking me to do two songs for free, in a genre I don't enjoy, having to find a pianist with no interest in jazz, it was a non-starter for me. I'd rather be at home, posting on Talkbass or practicing :)

Mr_Moo, mikewalker and ELG60 like this.
  10. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Maybe ya'll are equally bad in which case everything will offset or balance out in your favor. Haven't the Stones been together for ~60 years?

I'm sure this can be explained via some corollary, paradox, or component of quantum mechanics.

Riis

12. stubborne

stubborne

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    Exactly - been there, done it, will do it again as long as it's a goooooooood hang!!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. He'll book a show. Then what?

If you do this, make it clear that you only want to jam in private.

Mr_Moo, Sid s and pcake like this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The only informal jams I ever liked were the ones I went to when I lived in Asheville--where everybody except me was a pro. Call me selfish, but the weak player I want to help most is me!

Mr_Moo, Sid s, JRA and 3 others like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I love it when I'm forced UPWARD a notch or two by the other players in the room!

Mr_Moo, 4-stringB, JRA and 3 others like this.
  16. It depends, does he have good weed?

17. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I got a Facebook request from a drummer I played with years ago when I first got back into music. I'm grateful to the guy for giving me a chance to be in a band and play some gigs. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have ended up where I am now without his patience and generosity. Unfortunately he's a really lousy drummer. One beat fits all and no sense of timing or meter. I see he's living back in my area now and is looking to form a band. He has a way of attracting rank beginners and individuals who are pretty rough around the edges. I just can't bring myself to respond to his friend request. I'd sit down for a couple beers with the guy, but the thought of playing music with him gives me the willies.

TheBear and BooDoggie like this.
  18. I say you'll do this twice, maybe 3 times. Then one of you will break the date, then something will come up, then you'll both forget about it.

19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Also the definition of "practice"! :woot:

Mr_Moo, Rich48, deak21 and 8 others like this.
  20. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Not anymore. Every time I did, it was painful, annoying, and a complete waste of unenjoyable time. I have better things in life to do than go down that path again. Like hang with my family.

mikewalker likes this.