1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Into the GK1001RB-II: to unity-gain or not to unity-gain??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by osciphex, Mar 13, 2008.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I have a somewhat quiet bass with passive pickups, but I have several signal boosting pedals (sansamp, compressor) before the amp input.

Is there any reason why I would NOT want to turn all the pedals down to unity-gain before going into the GK? I know that doing so will mean I'll get less growl from the Boost stage, but this is easilly adjusted for by increasing the Input Volume. In contrast, if I run the signal "hot" with added gain from the pedals, I'm more likely to see clipping at the GK input.

So is there any inherent disadvantage to running a slightly quieter signal into the GK? (or any amp for that matter). Is there some reason you'd *want* to be boosted up near the clip-threshold of the input?

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    For the majority of cases in Theoryland (assuming you don't want any clipping), to achieve the best SNR, you would want the strongest possible signal without clipping being sent to the power amp. In the real world, do whatever is least noisy.