Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Into The Moat,Dillinger,etc.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 21, 2005.

1. I was just wondering if anyone can lend me some knowledge/some where to find out exactly what makes DEP and ITM what they are. Like,what chords//scales do they play? I know alot of dissonance and odd-syncopation is incorporated,but I would to know more on how to write like they do.

if you haven't heard these bands,umm... www.purevolume.com/intothemoat

thanks in advance,i appreciate it.

(no flaming necessary)

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I listened to "In To the Moat", and that sounded a lot like a technique called "serialism", or the "twelve note system". this means that the piece of music has no Tonic Note or Key Center, and is composed of notes according to numerical patterns. Because this music is atonal, it puts alot of people off. The technique was invented by Arnold Schoenberg. Form the little bit I've seen about this technique, there are many modern forms of serialism.

Also, I counted at least 20 sections. by the sounds of it, they might arrange each section separately, then put the whole lot together into a single piece of music.

Google Serialism, Twelve Note System, and Arnold Schoenberg. There are books on these subjects as well.

[​IMG]

These ideas are just a wild guess, but if I was attempt anything like it, I would investage the twelve note system.

3. thanks dude,I heard of the 12 note system before,and asked my instructor about it. So its basically when you play C to C by not repeating a note and playing every note in between?

4. Not quite. It's when you give each note equal face time to avoid being in any particular key. While playing each note from C to shining C would accomplish that, it would be boring. Serialism is one way to construct an atonal piece. You take all twelve notes and arrange them in a sequence (the chromatic scale you described is one). Then you use that sequence of notes and its transformations (upside down and backwards) to create music. That's basically it.

EDIT: Maybe you got it after all. At first it sounded to me like you thought that one just ascended a chromatic scale.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Here's a explaination of the Twelve Tone(note) System I found at MSN Encarta.

6. confusing :/

i just read explanations like that and than play a DEP or ITM song and draw a blank as to how they're related.

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Like I said, it's was a wild guess. ignore it if you wish.

8. I didnt mean that in a disrespectful way at all,and I apolagize if you took it that way.Thank you for your time and your research//knowledge.

9. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Cool music though. I actually quite like it.

10. same here,i love blast beats over scaling,it just makes me giddy.

11. Throwing a word like 'serialism' around whenever dissonance is involved is a slippery slope. there are many forms of atonal and non-tonal music that are not based on the 12-tone row.

[font=&quot]

This is a typical serial matrix. If you call 'C' '01,' every pitch is related chromatically to 'C;' 02=C#, 03=D, 04-D#, etc.

This gives you your melodic content at the least. At their most extreme, serialist matrices can dictate rhythm, dynamics, timbre, etc. It's some pretty complex stuff that I don't reall understand and I don't think what we're hearing here is serialism.

[/font]

12. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    yeah right, pal.

I'd take that with fries and pinch of salt. ;)

Also, NAME YOUR SOURCE!!

13. I'm sorry?

[edit] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialism. For your reading pleasure.
    [/edit]

14. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  15. The limitations of the internet...do you disagree and are being coy? I just want to make sure I wasn't being offensive in any way...

.m.

16. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Well, my reasoning for the two pieces of music for being atonal or serialism in form, was that I couldn't hear any resolution to a tonic note anywhere. Even if they modulated several times, I still can't hear a key.

Also, you said something that sounded pretty good, and I wanted to know where you got it from, so I can learn it as well

17. DEP wouldn't be DEP without all the off-beat playing they do!!!! Try headbanging to them without looking like a fool!!

18. haha,you're right...you'd be mid "bang" and you'd just get lost.