Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intonating the Low B

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

I have a Yamaha RBX 765 and the low B string is acting funky.

all the strings are intoned fine all the way up the neck, but the B string is only a B when it's played open. as soon as i fret it gets sharp. the harmonic is a B in tune, but the 12th fret is about half a semi tone sharp. i just tried loosening the screw and moving the bridge thing it sits on back and forth, but to no avail.

these are factory strings.

any suggestions?

2. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Hi, Mando, You should do a search on this subject. There have been some really good posts on B string intonation. Hope this helps.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I always have problems intonating the low B on my basses, so you are not alone. Here are some things to consider.

1) String type and string guage makes a difference. Experiment with different strings.

2) Tapered B strings can help intonation.

3) With DR steel lowriders (non-tapered) I was able to get better intonation by pressing my thumb down on the string just in front of the saddle to get a sharper angle over the bridge.

4) Make sure the notes you USE are intonated. Don't worry about the 12th fret of the B, cuz you probably don't use it. (I almost never go higher than the 8th fret (G) on mine). On my bass, the first 6 notes on my B string (the ones that count!)sound KILLER, so I don't worry too much.

5) Also, adding a little bass in your e.q. I found helps mask slight inaccuracies in intonation.

Good luck!

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mandobass,

I just saw you have factory strings. Change 'em and you might not have this problem. Factory strings usually suck.

5. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    great help schwinn,

thanks for the replies.

i think im going to order some DR strings. Low riders? fat beams?

i like to slap, but i also use a pick. avatar 2x10 cab. i like a solid tone with some punch. any suggestions on those strings?

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    DR lowriders are great strings (steel or nickel). I haven't tried fat beams yet. The only thing I don't like about lowriders is the fact they're not tapered.

The best thing about lowriders is they seem to last a REALLY long time. I think you will like them.