Intonation and notes on first couple of frets. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I own an SR-3000E Ibanez 4 string bass. The action is perfect. The open strings and the 12th fret note are perfectly in tune. However, the first 3 or 4 frets register a bit sharp on my tuner. Then from about the 5th to 12th fret it's fine. Then from the 13th fret on, the notes seem a bit flat. Any ideas how this can be fixed? Is it possibly a nut issue?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The cause of the sharp notes on the first few frets is your nut. It is too high.

I'm sure some of our resident experts will jump in here with the answer to the flat notes in the high register.

Have you tried tweaking the intonation? That won't help the lowest notes, but it will help with the notes above the twelfth fret.
  3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to take it to my local guitar shop and have them give it a look. They'll probably need to file down the nut slots a bit. I'd try it myself but I don't want to risk it. I've tweaked the intonation as best I could. The higher notes above the 12th fret aren't that bad. It's the low notes that register pretty sharp.

Thanks again!!!
  4. You may have a couple of frets that are too high which will cause the string to intonate flat on the upper frets, your best bet would be to let your tech take care of the nut issues and check the fret work out!