1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

intonation - B string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Thinker, Aug 12, 2012.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    On one of my 5-stringers I have to pull the saddle on the B-string about all the way back in order for it to intonate properly. I am considering a tapered B-string--to intonate propersly, will I need to pull the saddle back farther, or move it down (toward the nut) vs. a standard roundwound B-string?

2. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Newark,De.
    My G&L 2500 is that way,no matter what type of string I use. The sadle is all the way back.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If your B-string saddle is disproportionately far back, you need to employ a technique called "setting the witness point." Press down firmly on the string just past the saddle to to properly bend the string over the saddle. This should fix your un-intonate-able B-string issue.

A tapered B-string can suffer from the same issue, although it's less common, and I wouldn't go out and buy new strings just for the tapered B to solve the issue.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    A more flexible string doesn't need the saddle so far back. Try to find a flexible B with 3 layers of wrap wire instead of 4, taperwound or exposed core inherently makes a string more flexible and does indeed help. Also try to find one that minimises the length of tapered section in the vibrating length, too much creates a strange inharmonic tone. I can recommend Circle K Strings as being very flexible and with a very short taper.

The distance the saddle needs to go back is a direct measure of the inherent stiffness of a string (= stiffness at zero tension).

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Have you pressed down on the B string where it passes over the saddle so there is a "witness point" so the string is not slowly curing over?

OH... FunkMetal mentioned this :D

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    In my experience, every B string that has been oddly placed for proper intonation, had an issue with the neck. On both bass and guitar. Usually it's a warp in the neck at the joint where the neck raises regardless of truss rod adjustment. It can be seen from sighting the neck. It's just my experience

7. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I had this issue with D'Addario strings but not with other brands.