Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

intonation help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twofifty, Mar 11, 2005.

1. twofifty

twofifty

Mar 5, 2005
    First off, I did check the sticky and found the links quite informative. I checked the intonation on my Squire P-Bass :)() and found it was actually quite sharp, so I began moving the saddle (is that the proper name?) on the E-string back. It started to get less and less sharp, but then I couldn't go back any further and it was still sharp. What is wrong with my guitar? Is there anything I can do to fix it?
    Thanks

2. Normally, I start by checking the neck relief using a capo and feeler gauges,(you can get more detailed information on how to do that from Fender's website...It involves a truss rod adjustment), then I check the saddle (string) height, then I intonate the bass. A number of things can affect intonation, even strings. Are they the same gauge the bass shipped with? If not, the truss rod may need a tweak. Sometimes the neck needs to be reset although that's extreme. Bottom line, take your time, get the info from Fender and go for it. If not, you can get it set up by a tech for like $35 at most music shops. I don't mean this in a bad way, but you may have some trouble getting perfect intonation from a Squire P. It's not a bad bass, it's just not exactly a high end bass.....got my drift? Good starter instrument for sure, but my guess is you will outgrow it.

3. twofifty

twofifty

Mar 5, 2005
    Come to think of it, I've been getting a bit of fret buzz around the top 5 frets.
    Regarding the Squier being a low end bass, yeah, I know. I just don't have the money to upgrade now (all my money has been going into my bike). I've pretty much outgrown it play wise already, so I figure why not get some practice doing maintenance since it's not a huge loss if I eff something up.
    Wow, I have bad grammar.