Intonation, not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 8, 2003.

1. I'm adjusting the intonation of my strings, but there seems to be a problem. Apparently the saddles have to move front or back. When I do it, the screw just slowly comes out and the saddle stays in the same position. I keep unscrewing and rescrewing and nothing changes. Any help?
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Try loosening the strings. What I'm thinking is that the strings have so much downward pressure on the saddles that they can't move.
  3. Whaddya know, that worked! It's a little awkward because I have to detune, adjust, retune and check, but hey, it works. Thanks a lot.
  4. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

If you're still dialing it in; I've had a similar situation with my Fender 'P'.

Instead of loosening, retightening, retuning... just use a couple of fingers from your free hand to help the saddle/s move down towards the neck as you turn the respective screw. Also, depending on how old / worn the saddle's springs are, you might consider replacing them with new, fresh strong springs?.. michael s.
  5. my advice is slacken off the string every time.
    as you would for setting the truss rod as well.
    also dont make any witness points at the bridge saddles till your intonation is set.
    **as i think about it
    roller saddles probable dont need this though and a little push or pull should be ok.
    my bridge is a badass so there is some friction against a sharp edge..hence the slackening off
  6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I imagine the problem is only when loosening/turning counter clockwise or pushing the saddles forward? I just push on the screw head with my screw driver and that will move the saddle forward without having to slacken the strings. It shouldn't be a problem if you are tightening/turning clockwise.