1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

intonation off in cold bldg

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AgIdoc, Jan 26, 2012.

1. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    recently I noticed that my squier DAJV gets out of whack when I play at church (insert "devil bass" joke here haha :bassist: )

seriously. I VERY CAREFULLY adjust the intonation at home to be near-perfect but when I get to church (which is always FRRRRREEZING)...then the higher up the neck I play, the sharper I am. its becoming infuriating. even after 2-3 hrs in there. then I get back home again (normal temp/humidity) & its fine again. no problem.

this doesn't happen on my 4-string p-bass, so lately I've been using it more at church. but we do a lot of songs in Eb (cuz that's the cool new "in" thing, apparently) and the reason I got the 5-er in the 1st place is to play low Eb & D.

any advice? I guess I could spend time setting the intonation just right *at church*, which would mean its off again at home. or de-tune the 4-string. anyone else have this problem?

bah.

2. JPBourdier

JPBourdier

Jan 2, 2011
    Texas - DFW
    Yes, I have this same problem! I've taken the time to set up my intonation at church. It usually stays around 65-68 degrees and makes a noticeable difference in pitch. If you only have 1 bass, I suggest setting up and tuning in the church. Give yourself about an hour to make multiple adjustments. When you practice at home, try to ignore intonation imperfection. I ended up getting a practice bass for home for this reason.

3. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    well good to know I ain't the only one. I have two basses that I play: a memphis p-bass with a mighty mite neck & the DAJV. the problem doesn't happen on the p-bass (chunkier neck, maybe?) so I'll probably just stop taking the DAJV to church. I can't really set up the DAJV for church & "ignore" the intonation b/c I use that jazz for recording (& it sounds great!). I guess I'm probably stuck.

and yeah, its 65 in our church sanctuary pretty much all the time. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but it's not.