Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

intonation on an acoustic......

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    the intonation on my acoustic has gone slightly out? aside from adjusting the neck (it's adjusted really nicely) is there anything I can do to remedy this???

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You haven't provided much info - is it an accoustic guitar or bass? What kind/size of the strings do you use? How high is the action..is it higher than before?

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    it's a cheap 4 string acoustic bass. I'm using medium light strings .45 - .100. it has pretty fast action with no buzzes. the intonation was perfect when I got it 4 yrs ago - now the A and the D string don't quite match up with their harmonics on the 12th fret. the harmonic is flat on both strings. other strings are still pretty good. i've changed sting guages and types and it didn't make any difference.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'm no expert, but if I remember right, heavier gauge strings might fix this. If not, you may need to change the bridge saddle for a compensated one, where A and D saddles are a bit closer.

5. The problem I see is if your bass WAS intonated for 4 years then making a change to the bridge/saddle might bring it in line now but what will happen later? The change you make now might not allow going back later.

Besides, I don't really see how intonation would change on 2 strings (assuming the same strings etc.). Intonation is matching the vibrating string length of the first 12 frets of your neck. Without changing anything else, how would it go bad?

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That's why I asked if he changed the string gauge and if the action is higher than before...either of these would tend to change intonation - at least in my experience.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Is the bridge lifting?

8. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    If is RUN!