1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intonation on Musicman Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StreamerDavid, Mar 1, 2008.

1. I just had my Stingray set up and intonation checked. One of my favorite things to do for building a song is to run from C at the 3rd fret on the A string to C at the 15th fret on the A string. However, it's in tune on the 3rd fret, but FLAT at the 15th fret. Can anybody offer any insight or advice?

2. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    Your intonation wasn't adjusted properly.

3. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    How flat is it at the 15th fret?

Intonation is simple enough to adjust.

You'll need:

1) A tuner
    2) A screwdriver or hex wrench (I think you need a screwdriver for the MM adjustment)

Here's how to do it:

1) Check tuning of open string (i.e. not fretted) adjust if necessary
    2) Check tuning on 12th fret of same string
    3) If 12th fret is sharp, adjust the saddle so that it moves back (effectively making the open string longer). If flat, adjust the saddle so that it moves forward (effectively making the open string shorter).
    4) Repeat with step one until open and 12th fret are both in tune.

You'll never get every fretted note to be in perfect tune, so don't even bother.

Here's a link:

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/setting_bass_intonation.html

There's other info on there so you can learn how to do your own set up.

You will only need a few tools (doing a set up on a Music Man is really easy because of the truss rod wheel). And, it's not very complicated, so long as you understand what you're doing, and why you're doing it. The most "dangerous" thing is adjusting your truss rod, adjusting too much can really screw up your neck, but if you make small adjustments, it shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a serious problem with your neck to begin with.

4. minor bridge adjustment necessary

5. Didi you get the intonation "checked" and adjusted using the same strings as you had on originally? If so, the kink in the string where it broke over the saddle previously can cause problems when moving up the neck.

Get a fresh set of strings.

If it's a new set, then maybe the intonation wasn't set without settling the break angle over the saddle?

Also - when setting the intonation, don't just use the open & 12th fret positions. Rather, set the intonation using open, 12th, 15th & 17the positions, and get the best balance between all the positions. This will "temper" the intonation and allow for more accurate intonation at the "dusty end" of the fingerboard.

6. I seen that you had it setup, by shop? The neck may have settled into a truss rod adjustment(it can take a day or two sometimes). In this case Adjusting the truss rod back to how it was intonate could be the key. How is the relief now, too much/too little?

Intonation kinda depends on YOUR touch. If you have an OK ear you should be able to hear a difference as to how hard you fret a note. If it was set with a tech using a heavy touch, but you play with a lighter hand then you will hear flat notes as you get higher on the FB.

This would be a great time for you to learn how to do this yourself! It will save you a lot of money in the future and you can be sure that your bass will play exactly like you want.

7. What size screwdriver for the intonation?