1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intonation on my Jazz is extremely flat. With!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Jul 2, 2014.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I had an issue about a month ago where all of a sudden my A String on my Jazz was flat...like a half step. Overnight. So I made the adjustment and it was fine.
    Yesterday it was back to being flat. I restrung her and now even worse. The bridge piece is as far as it can go on that string now...Help!

It is a an 08' Am Std Jazz. First time having an issue with her..feeling sad.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    If those are the original strings from '08, the A may be shot. Time for a new set.
    If they are new strings, It may be a bad one.
    Did you re-string with a new set and got the same odd result as the old set?
    Is the gear screw on the A tuner loose? Make sure it's tight.

huckleberry1 likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know it sounds silly, but, you are moving the saddle in the correct direction, right? I have done countless setups and I always move the saddle the wrong way when I first adjust them.

4. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    They ate not the same strings..I have restrung this bass many times.

5. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I have moved the saddle fwd yes, closer to the neck...very odd being fine one week and off so much.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Half a step should be just about beyond the adjustment range of the saddle. Check the nut slot and break angle at both ends. Maybe the string isn't sitting in the nut slot or on the saddle properly?

This is a strange problem.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    This ^

8. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    what exactly do you mean by the intonation being flat?
    all fretted notes are flatter than the open string suggests they should be?
    the 12 fret A is flatter than the open version?

CLMSHQ likes this.
  9. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    I think the OP means the string loses intonation VERY easily

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    are the screws in the saddle drifting? If so, that would cause a possible intonation problem. Are you using flats? They are prone to going bad sometimes...

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Uhh, if its intonated properly, then the fretted 12th string and open note should be in tune with each other. The 12th shouldn't be going flat.

12. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    dont remember suggesting it should :)

was just wondering about how OP defined intonation in case there was a breakdown of communication

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I took the OP as saying overnight his A string went flat 1/2 note. Indicating string going slack on him somehow, but later says he's been adjusting the bridge saddle as if attempting intonation of the A string without results.
    "Communication breakdown - it's always the same"

14. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Yes!

And I have been my own tech the last 14 yes with no issues like this. I brought it to practice one night and the fretted noted on the A string were flat. Very strange and scary at the same time.

Was able to fix it with some adjustments. And now about 2 months later it did it again, even after changing strings...the saddle is almost to the edge twds the neck side too.

15. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Just tried redoing the saddle.
    Still a flat issue. Needs to go to a Luther I guess.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, as mentioned, the string itself is always suspect. Tell us more about your procedure for setting witness points. For the sake of consistency, please use the 12th fret harmonic and 12th fretted for setting intonation at least in this situation. The fact that the bridge saddle is near full forward (leading edge of the baseplate) is disturbing.

Riis

17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    At this point I'd break out the measuring tape. Nut to bridge should be exactly double 12th fret to bridge (witness point to witness point). It sounds like 12th fret to bridge is substantially less than half the full length and is still flat. Is the setup otherwise extreme? High bridge? Excessive relief? Check for string twist? Try a completely different brand and type of string?

18. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I will be taking it to a Luthier in a couple of weeks.
    Just very odd it has happened on the A string with two different strings..the existing and the new pack.
    And no other string has an issue.

19. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    If pickups are too close to the string they will affect intonation and tuning

20. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    What "the adjustment" did you make? The other thing that came into mind was the tuner possibly slipping. Swap the tuner on the A string with the tuner on the E string? Wait overnight. check again.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    LoveThatBass likes this.