1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Intonation problem with TBC

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I just my TBC in a trade and I love it, but there is one slight problem. The E string won't intonate. When I got it, it was strung through the body with some light gauge strings and intonation was dead on. I didn't like the strings, so I changed them to D'addarios XL160...didn't go through the body, and now the intonation is off.

I know how to set it, the problem is...my saddles are adjusted all the way back now and there is no room to move back for further adjustment...I assume the only way to correct this is by moving the bridge...Am I correct? :help:

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Sometimes you get a bad string. Also be sure that at the witness points nut/bridge that the string is making good contact. Try pushing down on the string on both sides of the nut and bridge. If you had good intonation before you shouldn't have to move the bridge. If the new E string is bigger it might not be seated deeply enough in the nut. I have and old 68 gibson eb bass and it would not intonate on the e string with any brand/size string. Changing the bridge did fix the problem but its position is still in the same place as the old bridge. Hope this helps.