Intonation problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pelleplu, Mar 23, 2003.

1. pelleplu

Jan 12, 2003
    I've been trying to adjust the intonation of my bass.
    Now I have moved the saddles as far back as possible, but it's still a bit off. If I move them any farther I'll destroy the springs.. What should I do?
  2. I've run into that problem with one of my basses, and only noticed it when I changed to a different gauge string.

I cut the spring in half to accomodate the extra movement needed to get it intonated. Before cutting, you could maybe check hardware stores for shorter springs.
  3. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    well there are a couple of options,you can change string gauge like the other cat said,or you can go buy another spring and cut in half or 3/4 or whatever size you need, and you did'nt mention the make of bass so i'll tell you this anyway, older fenders came with a longer g adjustment screw and spring for this exact purpose,you can shop around for the longer(or shoter ) type screws to fit your need,what string was it? or is it all of them? if you cant fix it on your own bring it to a pro, but these suggestions should do the trick:bassist:
  4. pelleplu

Jan 12, 2003
    I'm gonna try changing strings and see what happens, I don't feel like cutting springs and stuff yet, I'm too new to bass :)
    I don't have a Fender, I have a Dean bass.
    And so far I've had the problem on both the B and I decided to come here and ask for help before I tried the rest.
  5. just to see how far you'd need to go, take the spring out entirely. then you can slide it back as far as you need to without cutting any springs. the springs only help anything if you're moving the saddle forward, so just to see if it's even feasible with these strings, it may be worthwhile.