Intonation Problems on a Fender Jazz...Help Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michaelc, Jan 25, 2009.

1. michaelc

michaelc

Apr 17, 2007
    C-ville Michigan
    A few weeks ago I noticed my 2006 Fender American Standard Jazz was starting to get really sharp around the 6th fret of the E string. At the time I was kinda busy so I did my best to ignore it. Friday night I got some time to set the intonation and changed the stings. I noticed to neck was pretty decently back bowed, so I took it to my local guitar shop and had em' adjust the truss (I don't do truss rods, they scare me). I got it home and re-did the intonation, and while better, the intonation is still really off on the 6th to 9th fret, despite the fact that it's pretty good at the 12th fret. It starts getting a little gray at the A, but by the time i get up to the B, its almost a half step sharp. The frets look fine, the neck is straight, the intonation is good on all the other strings in the same position. What’s up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because for now, I'm playing A and up on the A string, and that can be kind of a pain for certain songs.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I only have two thoughts here:
    1) Ask over in Setup&Repair. Less traffic, but there's good answers to be had over there.
    2) Seek out a professional luthier. "Back-bowed" is a dirty word in my eyes, and the intonation problem you describe is umm... unusual.

3. strange, are you sure you are fretting without bending the string? i wouldve mentioned the issue when you took it in. you may have to go back up there. how about changing that string again?

4. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Yes, I would also recommend changing the string.

Something sounds fishy. Are you consistently tuning/intonating to the same part of the note (attack/decay)? What kind of tuner are you using for intonating?

There are other possibilities, but it shouldn't be so nutty if your neck was just adjusted....unless there's some insane relief on the bass side (but your bass is a bit new for that)....

LouLoomis

5. michaelc

michaelc

Apr 17, 2007
    C-ville Michigan
    I use a Korg rack tuner and I us a pick when I tune. The Korg tuner is very accurate and the pick helps me keep the attack even and insure I don't "pull" the string out of tune.

Strangly enough, when I picked up the bass last night the intonation was much better. I find that very odd because I made no adjustments. Maybe in a few days it will be all right.

6. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    To me , it sounds like your neck has a forward bend to it, not back bowed which would mean that you have to press down more for notes in the middle of the neck making them sharper. I think you need to tighten the truss rod to take away relief and straighten the neck.

Fret the G string at the 1st and last frets with 2 business cards inserted between the string and the 8th fret. I start with one index finger on the 7 the fret and the other on the 9th fret to hold the cards in. Then a slide my fingers outward. The gap should be a little more than the thickness of 1 business card so 2 business cards should not fall out. 1 Business card will.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021