intonation question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Davo737, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I went to tweak my bass today, and for some reason forgot exactly how to check the intonation. I'll probably remember by tomorrow, but could someone refresh me in case i don't? Thank you kindly.

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Davo, tune with a tuner. Check each string open and at the octave. If string is sharp or flat at the octave, intonation needs correction.
  3. ok, sorry if I seem stupid but I am new at this bass game, could you go a little more in depth as to how to do this? thanks in advance....
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    T.J., Fender has a super instructional on the net. look under the the search words "Fender set up" in the archives. If you don't find what you're looking for, I'm sure someone on the board knows the url, and will volunteer info.
    Believe me, a picture is worth more than a thousand words when it comes to setup.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    1. tune the string open with the tuner

note that the harmonic at the 12th fret is in tune. this is a function of string physics - if the string is in tune open, the harmonic will be in tune too.

2. fret the string at the 12th fret. if it is sharp, move the bridge saddle back a bit, if it is flat, move the saddle forward.

repeat until harmonic and 12th fret note are the same (in tune).

6. so altering the saddle position sets the intonation, will changing the saddle height or string height throw off the intonation? thanks again for clearing this up a bit more for me.
  7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yes, ever so slightly. If you revise your action you should redo your intonation too.

And if you play high on the neck frequently, also intonate to the 19th fret.