Intonation setup first time problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lewk, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I've been trying to set the intonation on my ibanez EDA 900 today.

It all went without problems at first, i followed the instructions of gary willis on the instructions reena brings out. for my DAE strings it has all set up perfect. For my G string however, it always seems to be 2 lights (i'm unaware of the tech. term, i use a boss TU-2) sharper than the open string/12th harmonic.

Upon closer inspection, the G string saddle was set further forward than the other three, and i wonder if the reason it is slightly sharp all the time is because it was at this setting when i restrung, and thus my G string is short. When i move the saddle further back, i get an incredibly annoying buzzing sound emanating from the bridge. Again, is this to do with my string being "too short" now it is strung?

i don't think i can restring the string either because when i was taught to restring he told me to pull the stringth the length, then cut the silk end to about an inch or two past the machine head. this gives a neater job but i realise now why my G strign has almost always nearly wound onto the machinehead past the silk.

If any of this doesn't make sense i can clarify!

2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Check your bridge and make sure it's fastened securely to the body.
  3. When stringing my bass i tend to cut the string 1 1/2 to two machine heads after the one i am stringing up. Ensures i get a minimum of 3 turns on the post and that there is enough length to really adjust intonation etc.

Try winding back the G until you get intonated then raise the string to prevent buzzing. This will give it a tighter break point over the saddle too. Bear in mind you should be retuning after each step.

If it still wont do it... i would be getting another G string and try try again. ;)

4. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Yeah i'm just worried about breaking my week old strings! hehe. i'll have another fiddle tomorrow with it. I can cope with that string not being bob on till i next get a set though, i don't use it too much.