Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intonation: Sharp on 5-7th frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I have a spector Re-Bop 5 string and I'm having some intonation problems.

I set the intonation properly such that it's in tune at the 12th fret (and it's very close at the 24th fret, also), however, on the lower frets (like 5-7, where I'm playing a LOT), the bass is sharp - especially on the E and A strings.

I use Elixir coated strings, and they are about 2 weeks old.

Any ideas?

I tried lowering the action, and this helped a little, but it still isn't perfect (sharp by about 5-10 cents) - so much so that the keyboard player and guitar player keep yelling at me to "tune up".

--joe

2. Joe is it setup so that the12th fret and open string are both in tune?

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Yes, open and 12th fret are in tune.

--joe

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is it sharp at the first and second frets as well? If so, your nut may be too high.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I just reread and old BP article on intonation that Rick Turner wrote. He stated the nut should be cut to exactly the same heighth as the the string height at the second fret when fretting the note on the first fret. He also stated that if you have a heavy left hand technique you may need to set your intonation a tad flat at the 12th fret. He also states to check the intonation in playing position not with the bass laying flat on a table. Hope this helps.

6. Rick Turner also says to set the intonation at the 12th fret and at the 19th fret and, if they aren't perfectly in tune, to "split the difference." I have done this religiously for a few years and never had a problem. Remember that the instrument should have all the other set up tasks completed before setting the intonation.

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sometimes worn frets can cause notes to go sharp on heavily played frets.

8. This could be the problem. I think it's a little sharp at these lower frets, also.

The bass is fairly new, so I seriously doubt that it's "worn frets". For $35, I took it in and am having it looked at by a professional. I'll let you know what the problem was.

--joe

9. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I don't think people meant that you have worn frets. You are probably going to have to shave your nut (sounds funny I know). Just do it a little at a time and you won't have any trouble.

10. Check this out:

The "professional" I took it to called me and told me that "oops - I snapped your truss rod (while trying to LOOSEN it), and your bass needs a new neck!!!" :eek:

Fortuantely, they are replacing it at THEIR COST. Unfortunately, it will take 4-6 weeks to get it fixed!!! :bawl:

--joe

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    That sucks balls.

12. Would you mind informing me of this techs name? I wouldn't let him ever work on another one of my basses!

Thats a big mistake on his part. I'm happy they are replacing your neck but it shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

This is a good reason to let a "pro-tech" do the work, at least they have to repair their breaks with no cost to you!

That's one to tell the grand kids, you got a new neck for $35 bucks!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Check this out - the next day, they called me and told me they were able to replace my Truss Rod! So, I'm playing out tonight with my ReBop, and it seems to be working fine now! They were very nice and gave me back my bass at "no charge". They did tell me that they had to tighted the new truss rod "all the way" and put a couple of washers on it to boot. This is the place I used, BTW: http://www.repairguitar.com/

I did have to raise the action a bit, since it was buzzing on the 9th and 10th frets when I got it back, and then re-set my intonation. This time I did it myself (but I only have a cheap tuner, so it's not great).

I think I'm going to buy one of those Peterson Virtual Strobe tuners.

Anyhow, I'll continue my saga once I play out a few times.

--joe

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Joe, I'm in Toms River too...I would ONLY let "The Guitar Guy" work my basses (and guitars) in this area.

He's up stairs across from the Java Joint in downtown Toms River.... dude's name is Paul.

15. Yes, Paul worked on it first.

He's the one who must have overtightened it to begin with. These guys were trying to LOOSEN it!

I normally use Paul.

Paul did an EXCELLENT job in changing the volume/volume to volume/blend, replacing the brand-new yet noisy volume pot, and installing a battery box right in the cover plate (bass is too thin to route one into the body).

Tonight I'm gonna buy a Peterson VS-1 strobe tuner and really check out what's going on here.

--joe