Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intonation troubles.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jul 16, 2002.

1. I'm having trouble intonating my essex after a bridge change and string change.

When i changed the bridge to my gotoh i measured at the center of the board to the 12 fret, 17" i set the saddles to mid point of travel (each one has its own little track thats about 1.5cm or so long and thats as far as it can go) and marked the location of the bridge and the holes and drilled away.

I had the same intonation problem with the original bridge. everything was so far back it wasnt funny.

i really cant move the bridge back with out exposing the holes of the previous bridge and the current one.

Thanks all

PS. would diff strings or lower action help?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think you may have to move the bridge back.
    How about some sort of plate to cover the old holes.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

4. i measured it all again (figured out the saddles locked) an di took the measurmentoff the furthest forward saddle (d and g string saddles match) and figured out that its 1/8th of an inch too far forward.

how would i go about re doing this?

5. okay. im moving the bridge back.

when i drill the holes again should i use the smallest bit i have or a little bit bigger?

6. the drill bit's outside diameter should be the same as the 'shaft' of the screw, meaning the size the screw would be if you took off the threads. that way, all the threads are going into wood, but you know the screw should fit.......