Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intonation Tuner Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lovin Bass, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey all, did a search but couldn't find my answer.

How accurate does a tuner need to be to do intonation? (In cents/sonts?)

I've heard some say 1 cent and others say 5 cents. I have also heard that the human ear can only detect a difference of 2-3 cents. Anyone know what their talking about as this is new territory for me.

Thank you.

2. I use a guitar multieffects pedal for tuning when it comes to intonation. You can then hear it if u plug into an amp and do open string then the note at the 12. if it wobbles then its out. If its flat lining then you know you're on the mark.

I played for years with my intonation slightly sharp, its not that detectable.

Merls

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't worry about it. Any ´decent tuner will do.

4. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thank you Merlin.
    Thank you JMX.

I was curious about this topic since I wanted to do a setup adjustment on my bass for the first time and was reading an old Bass Player issue that covered Intonation. They used a Peterson VS-1 virtual strobe tuner that is supposed to be good for up to 0.1 cent accuracy. That seemed strange to me. This made me wonder what was actually needed. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    On bass it's not all that critical. You can get away with most good digital tuners.

On g**t*r, or any other instrument where you frequently play chords up the neck, intonation accuracy is crucial.

I have a Peterson VS-1 and I won't go back to LED or needle tuners. It works great for bass or guitar.

6. Yo Chuck! Care to lay on the readers exactly how much the Peterson's are going for? I'll bet dollars to donuts the cost is the reason these aren't popular with players. The Peterson tuners could easily fall into the category of laboratory equipment. They're stable and accurate over a huge range of frequencies and allow for all sorts of small tweaks when intonating. I personally would love to have one but ...

7. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Regarding the Peterson Tuners:

I saw the VS-1 (now obsolete) with a price cut at Musiciansfriend.com for $169. A little more affordable.

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I bought my VS-1 from Bob Predaina Custom Basses early last year. I vaguely remember it was about $200.

It replaced a Korg DTR-2 which was a whole lot less accurate and responsive, and which didn't cost a whole lot less than the Peterson. Frankly I thought the DTR-2 was a crummy tuner.

Predainia's pre-order price for the VS-2 is about $225.

9. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think musiciansfriend.com has the VS-II for $199 and the V-SAM (?) for $249 which includes a metronome and tone generator.