Intonation woes. Gonna need a bigger boat.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skillet, May 4, 2019.

1. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I'm at my wit's end. So, I just received this bass, bought via Reverb. It's a Warmoth Dinky Jazz body with a Sire V7 neck mated to it. Purty durn sweet.
    Sounds great, plays great, then I notice the saddles are just straight across, like it's never had the intonation set.
    Well I can't set the intonation. They need to go way back.
    I go ahead and slap on a set of LaBella Deep Talkin flats and think it's going to be a happy day.

The saddles won't go back far enough. I take the saddles out, and cut the screws and springs, as this is a Hipshot Type A bridge and they won't thread all the way through.

Then I take the bridge off and move it back about 3/16s, exposing the route Warmoth thinks is necessary to drill the ground hole. Cut the screws again, and it isn't even close. I show some measurements from the nut showing I'm almost 35 inches from the nut. WTH?
    20190502_211946.jpg
    20190504_134414.jpg

this last pic shows me holding 34 inches dead centered on the nut. Any ideas?
    20190504_135030.jpg
    OK one more.
    20190504_141635.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Neck seems to be a 34" scale neck, weird.
    How are you setting intonation? Don't do the 2nd harmonic / 12th fret thing it's prone to error. Use a tuner and check open note, 1st fret and many frets, up to the highest played fret.

3. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    been checking with both 12th fret harmonic and open string to set tune, then fretting at the 12th fret to check the intonation.
    Measuring 17 inches from the nut to 12th fret, and from there to the current saddle contact point 17 3/4" and it's still quite flat.

4. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  5. If the note at the 12th fret is flat compared to the open string the saddles need to move toward the neck.

6. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    So, I've been going the wrong direction due to a brain fart all day today....... I'm going to get off the uh internet for a while.... Thanks Matt.
    Sharp knife, pull back ... that's how I always remember....
    l o g g i n g off... poopie

7. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    actually I didn't waste All of today moving a bridge in the opposite direction I needed to. I also put racing stripes on my Mustang.
    20190504_165640.jpg

4sight, ruju, Groove Doctor and 4 others like this.
  8. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Nice job on the ‘stang.

Skillet likes this.
  9. Both nice basses. I really like the Mustang.

I learned it as “forward fixes flat.” With forward meaning towards the neck.

I have to admit, I read your post a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t missing something before I posted.

ProfFrink and Skillet like this.
  10. Skillet

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Dude,
    I was about to pull that bridge and install a longer bodied high mass bridge even further back..... THEN, after I figured out my brain fart, I'd be filling visible holes in the body. You were in the nick of time. :)

That 'stang sounds great. I put Bartolinis in it and swapped out the tuners for smoother operating ones. OH, and put a blend knob in to replace the switch.
    It's become a gigging mainstay for me, and of course now, with the stripes, it will play faster.

Groove Doctor and Matt Liebenau like this.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Make sure to set the witness points at the nut and saddles, too. Missing that step can cause some off effects with intonation.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  12. Shucks..:oops::rolleyes: I did forget the witness point step. Thanks @Pilgrim

Pilgrim likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021