Intonation

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, Apr 19, 2021.

1. When I set the intonation I get it to the point. It's in pitch but it will fluctuating between sharp and flat while I let it ring out. Is that normal? I'm using the tuner that's in my Vox StompLab IB. If I use harmonics it seems to hold it perfect. it's in tune all the way down neck. With my OCD I keep wondering why? Should I buy a separate tuner pedal or a plug in tuner to check it? String height and relief are perfect. Could this have to do with pickup height. I've set everything up to factory specs. Someone told me that it's normal for a bass to do this. I've been doing my setups for a while. And when I bought my Jackson brand new it was all out of whack. I got it and had to set it up because it was off.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Normally, I'd suggest a better-quality tuner to verify your suspicions but a handful of the onboard tuners does a respectable job. Your observations may suggest "chorusing" which can be traced to a flawed string install (twisted string, etc) or too-close pickups.

*Drop your pickups and re-eval. Any improvement? If no...

*Slacken the the string and pull the coil from the machine head post. This should allow the string to return to it's normal orientation. Replace the coil and tune-to-pitch.

*Re-set your witness points at the nut and bridge saddle...the string should be departing from the leading (fretboard) aspect of each.

Riis

Donald Wormuth and 96tbird like this.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Some tuners just do this. Can you hear the pitch warble? If so follow Zooberwerx"s suggestions above. if you can't hear it, live with it or get a better tuner.

Donald Wormuth likes this.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Plucking the string too hard can cause that, as well. Soften your touch and see if it still does it.

Jeff Hughes and Donald Wormuth like this.
  5. Thanks, I will try that.

6. No, it sounds fine I've even used two of my basses to check it. Hitting notes on both instruments simultaneously waves are dead on.

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It sounds like your tuner is sensitive and picks up overtones. Because we use even temperament, rather than perfect temperament, some overtones are "out of tune". The fifth is a particularly strong overtone and the natural one is out of tune to your tuner. When you play both basses the signal from the fundamental overwhelms the overtones. That's my theory anyway.

iiipopes and Donald Wormuth like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021