Intonation

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Tom Cannon, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Tom Cannon

Tom Cannon

May 14, 2020
    Salina, Ks.
    Intonation is critical on electric bass with an adjustable bridge. Intonation can be dialed in setting the 12th fret harmonic to match the fretted note at the same 12th fret. Why do I not hear intonation discussed when I’m instructed to set my double bass bridge @ centered with the f-holes? Is this just, understood, give and take?

2. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Because there are no frets, no fret markers, no fret lines.

Your ears and fingers determine the intonation.

3. Tom Cannon

Tom Cannon

May 14, 2020
    Salina, Ks.
    Yes, you are correct! I’m OCD and I like to know the octave harmonic is half way between the bridge and the nut, in tune all the way up, is my thinking.

4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    That will always be true.

5. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    I agree with JKos. Thank you for posting! The harmonic series means that the octave harmonc will always be in the middle between the nut and bridge. The distance from the nut to the bridge determines the string length so the notes will be in different spacings depending on that distance. Here is a nice harmonic chart from The Modern Double Bass: Harmonics - charts

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  6. Tom Cannon

Tom Cannon

May 14, 2020
    Salina, Ks.
    Thank you! I play a J-bass, ie frets, some fretless and The Big Daddy. Thank God I have ears, technique. and (both sides of my brain @70)still work...playing since ‘59...

Lynn Seaton likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021