Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 2, 2000.

1. I am still a pretty new player and want to start working on my basses by myself. I don't know what the intonation is and what it exactly does for me. I recently adjusted the neck and bridge and the pickups, it sounds o.k., but after reading some threads here it has got me worried.:)
  2. the easist way unless i am lost would be to play a open string and then play a harmonic on that string on the 12 fret, of course if you have a tuner thats the best way.
    if all the string sound good that way then try other notes i.e. a G on the 3 fret of the E and a G on the 15th fret of the E if all sounds well you should be all set, old strings can cause a lack of intonation and they are usualy the first thing a repair person will change as he is checking it
    good luck
  3. To sum that up...

The string might not have the same relative pitch from fret-to-fret. Changing the active string length can correct a realitive difference.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Puff Guppy and O'Davy are right, but they haven't told you the way to correct intonation - you need to use the bridge and bring the saddles further forward or backward to make sure that the hamronic at the 12th fret is the same note as the fretted note and that both are in tune with a tuner. Most bridges have little screws at the back of the bridge that will move the saddle back and forwards as opposed to up and down.

If you find that notes around the 3rd fret are a bit sharp, this is probably due to the nut slots being too high. You can use a needle file to make them lower - but not too low or you will get fret buzz at these points instead!