Intrigued by Edens

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    First and foremost, well maybe not foremost but still, this is my first post. I've been lurking around for a few weeks now at least, and I'm really enjoying just the massive flow of information. It’s really great.

During my lurking (almost makes me sound like a pedophile stalker or something, I'm not, I swear...) I've been hearing a lot about the Eden amplifiers. Seeing as I'm looking for a new bass head, I've really been intrigued by these amps. I've never really heard one, let alone played one, but everything everyone says about them leaves me wondering if Eden is the amp for me. I know I should go out to some store by me and try one out, but all the people at these local guitar shops are dust so darn snooty.

I was just wondering what these amps sound like. If perhaps anyone could aim me towards some good recordings utilizing these Eden amps. Or perhaps steer me in a different direction. I play more melodic type music than heavy. More into indie than metal, so to speak. I'm kinda looking for a sound that kinda is a mix between classic rock and death cab for cutie, if that makes any sense. Not really into most newfangled radio rock. I guess I want something clean, but not too punchy, mellower I guess. I really don't like slapping, more thumping. It’s hard to explain what I want in words, partially because I'm not totally sure what I want. You know, I always really liked the tone of D'Arcy's bass in all the Pumpkin's recordings. And I kinda like Jonesy's Zep tones too. Just looking for input.

By the way, I play an MIM P-Bass with active EMGs. I've currently got an Ampeg 4x10 and I'm using a super crappy Peavey 400 bass amp that I absolutely detest. Hence looking for a new amp. I'm also looking to spend at most 900 bucks, and am willing to look for used amps. Any ideas would be helpful. And if this question's been asked a bazillion times, perhaps if you could point me to the right posts, that'd be most excellent. Thanks for your timeness.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Incubus and POD's bass players both use Eden gear for recording and live stuff, so that's a good start for tone.

Sound? Thick and warm. Like a bass milkshake. It's a fat, deep sound that goes well with almost anything, cab wise.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, if you buy an Eden amp, you can be snooty, too. I'd recommend the WT-550 model if it's your first one. That's assuming that you aren't really interested in stereo or bi-amp setups yet. The WT-550 does 400 watts into 8 ohms, 500 into 4 ohms, and 620 into 2 ohms. You won't need another amp for a long time. Here's a link.

Eden WT-550
  4. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Looks pretty spiffy, I'll have to look into it. I know the list price is almost never accurate or even realistic. About how much do those things run for new or used?
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey there! Where the heck is plainville? I live in urbana, and I'm just wondering how far that is. Anyways, Eden stuff is great. I have played a bunch of it in stores, but have never taken any home, yet. Never, if the wife has anything to do with it. But anyways, welcome to talkbass!
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Another vote for the Eden WT-550 from a happy Eden owner. You can get the in-your face punchy funky bottom with warm smooth mids and highs, or you can get a mellower warm deep round bass tone, and everything in between. Sorry, I can't name any recordings with an Eden head on it.

I gotta tell you, you have to try one for yourself. I was a confirmed GK man for over 20 years and was aspiring to more Hi Fi sounding rigs like the EA stuff. One day last year, I had to use a WT-800 with a 4-10XLT as the backline on a corporate gig. I was very impressed by the warm full round, but yet punchy, tube tone of the Eden head. That gig sold me on the head.
  7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    The WT-550 might be a little tough to find used, if that's what you're looking for.

I've had two WT-400's that were great amps, I just went to a rack setup.

On the two I had, the used prices ranged from $525-625. I haven't really kept up on prices, they may have come down slightly since the WT-550 came out.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Give Gard a call over at Bass Central. Tell 'im Munji sent you. He'll fix you right up.
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, the WT-550 just came out and the street price is in the neighborhood of $1,000+, thus, it's not cheap right now. When they come out on the used market, the used wt-550s may put some downward pressure on the used prices for the 300 and 400. If price is an issue, you should check out some other brands; there are a number of good sounding heads with a street price of $500 on up. When I was shopping around, the new Yorkville XS400H and the Mesa Walkabout caught my eye. I haven't been able to try a Yorkville, but I tried a Walkabout and it sounded great!
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, it seems like your bass itself might be a good first place to start.

have you tried fiddling with the tone control on your bass? it doesnt always have to be wide open all the time. i actually like my pbass sounds to be rather muted and bassy sounding, so i'm always turning down the tone knob to almost all the way down for that classic, woolly, muffled pbass like thump.

also, try swapping the strings for maybe a set of "flatwound" strings. this greatly eases the treble and makes for an instantly warmer, thumpier, mellower sound that you hear in alot of old Motown recordings.

also, i think in your case, the pickups could use a change, cause the active EMG's on your bass are prolly the most cutting, punchie, and aggressive pickups i can think of. "mellow" is not what i think of when i hear "EMG". you might wanna swap them out for a "passive" pickup that's a bit more easy and relaxed sounding, hence "mellow" sounding. a great one i like is Seymour Duncan's SPB-1, which is SD's take on the classic, old schoo pbass sound.

as far as heads, the Eden's are usually warm, woolly, almost furry sounding amplifiers. they're also a tad aggressive sounding. you can find a WT400 for sale in the "For Sale" lounge, on ebay, or at for much less than a brand new WT550. they're an upgrade from the WT300 series, and when i owned one, found them to be a great value of an amp.

but you could always try an Ampeg head which sound somewhat "mellow" to me. their SVT-350H is pretty good for the bucks, and would be an ideal candidate for your ampeg made cab. but it is a tad on the heavy side.
  11. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    My WT-400 is Tango Uniform right now (my fault), and I can't get it fixed right now because Lunar New Year has effectively shut Korea down. In the meantime, a buddy loaned me an SWR Workingman's 4004. I certainly don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's, uh, a LOT different. I really miss my Eden. :(

"I'm a dumb@$$" thread
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Russ! A couple of things:

1. Welcome aboard!

2. Howdy, neighbor! (I'm in Aurora.)

3. I agree with the WT-550 comments - I have one. As I recall, mine was right around $900 new.

4. Wanna try it?
  13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Another positive vote for the Eden sound. I've got a WT-400, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a warmer sound for a similar price. They're quite versatile too. Definitely check one out.
  14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Which Ampeg 410 do you have? That might make a big difference with the head also. I have a WT800 and 2 D410XLT's and the rig absolutely smokes!!
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Nice use of cryptic military political correctness. Hope you get your Whiskey Tango 400 fixed Alpha Sierra Alpha Papa.

Anyway, I am a fan of the WT400. I like it's portability and it's warmth. It's clear, but not as Hi-Fi as a SWR or EA. It get's a nice vintage sounding tone, or a somewhat modern tone. Nice versatility.
  16. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have a WT-800 and couldn't be happier.
  17. The bassist for the band "Dance Hall Crashers" uses all eden gear. He is pretty kick a$$ and has some awesome bass lines. Its like punk ska style stuff, theyve been around since the late eighties.

18. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have seen Edens and GK's used the most I think by players out there. Thats just what I have seen.
  19. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Are you talking about the 400 Watt Peavey tube amp? That thing is a monster. How far are you from the Quad Cities?
  20. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, its great, really. For those of you Illinoisian, PLainfield is a relatively quiet dull town near Joliet. Pretty much the only things that happen here are tornados, corn, and a strangely large amount of relatively crappy punk bands, not that all punk is bad, but you know. Anyways, in response to what you guys've said, well here I go. I love the tone of my EMGs, so much better than the stock Fenders, especially now its on 18v. I also thought about buying flatwounds, but nobody around here seems to sell any besides the Fender brand strings, and I've had bad experiences with them before. Those darn snooty music shop guys try to talk me out of it all the time too. In any case, I'm happy with my bass, but I need a new amp head, because I am definitely not happy with it.

Secondly, where is this Bass Central place? Yea, I realize I sound ignorant, but I live in the middle of nowhere, what do you expect?

Thirdly, I've only been able to define the Peavey as a Peavey Bass 400. Its solidstate, I took it apart to clean out the pots because the make horrible sounds when I turn them, among te many things I dislike about the amp.

Finally, I am willing to save up to $900 for this head.