1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intriguing new pedal-powering system: P3dals/Plush P3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, May 7, 2010.

1. While I have no plans of being an early adopter I sure do hope that this becomes a standard :).

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

3. Nerotic

Nerotic Guest

Sep 17, 2008
    If I understand this concept correctly, then all of your patch cables has to be stereo cables? Which means that most people would have to go out and get brand new cables for their boards in order for this to work?

If this is the case, I think I'll pass.. But pretty clever idea though..

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    So, I guess you'd need to place all non-9v pedals either before or after the power device(s)?

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Nope. there are several different modes. imagine having a pedal power brick that takes your signal and supplies power, and sends it to the amp. one trs.

You can have your units modded to accept trs cables supplying power, eliminating the brick all together.

6. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    An interesting idea but it's going to take a lot of effort for them to convince people to switch to a new standard.

7. donut

donut

Jan 27, 2004
    UK
    EBS have offered this for quite a long time now, you can power their pedals from their amp heads I seem to remember.

8. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    About 20 or 30 years too late. Why would I pay to have my pedal modded to use another power source. A OneSpot is easier and only costs $30. I'd be happy if companies didn't use the opposite of the Boss standard. Center negative / center positive.

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think there are many things wrong with the standards of guitar pedals - 1/4" jacks, unbalanced signals, the way we power them, etc. and I would welcome a better-thought-out standard. This is a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't see this replacing what we currently have because we all know how difficult it is for a new standard to get traction.

One thing that pops out at me is the line "several pedal companies are authorized to do the upgrade". This makes it out like they have some ownership over the concept and expect a pedal company to become "authorized" if they want to be compliant with this idea. That's silly. I don't see that being legally viable at all, since the idea falls within "obvious to anyone involved in the industry" but trying to be proprietary equals certain death for a new standard.

10. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I'd like to hear if and how this affects an effects setup noise-wise and otherwise.

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Any idea on how much it costs to mod a pedal to allow P3 power? It's a pretty big investment, but it's a very neat business model -- get the starter kit, then modify pedals one at a time as you can afford to until you have a 100% P3 rig.

12. amfmsb

amfmsb

Dec 16, 2007
    I wonder why the out is on the right side and the in is on the left.

13. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    There's a gadget that supplies phantom power to an active instrument via trs. I don't have the link handy but I think it didn't require any mods. The doohickey in question however ran off a battery :/

14. Irony has no bounds.

15. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    AFAICT it's just sending 9v through the ring of the output jack. So this would be a very simple mod; shouldn't be expensive if your local guitar tech is reasonably priced.

16. Well, it's impossible to turn the thing around on your board, so may as well forget about it.

17. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    So very, very overpriced. People have done this before.