1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Intro: About David Overthrow

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by paul, Mar 5, 2007.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    We're very pleased to announce the opening of our newest "Ask a Pro" forum on TalkBass, hosted by David Overthrow. Dave brings a wealth of instructional experience to the table with this new forum.

Dave has authored eight books on the electric bass and filmed 3 instructional DVD’s, all published by Alfred/NGW. In addition to serving as a staff writer for “Bass Guitar Magazine” from 2002-2005 Dave has been teaching bass seminars at the well-known National Guitar Workshop each year since 1983.

He has played with many different groups and in addition to touring with his own band, has released two CD’s, In The Pocket” and “2 Hot To Touch”. Dave plays cutting edge bass lines in progressive funk and jazz-rock styles in his own band and skillfully crafts interesting and imaginative bass lines in a variety of styles as a sideman. Dave’s versatile work has led him to performances with Stanley Clarke, Mike Stern, Larry Coryell, Trey Anastasio, Zak Wylde, Aaron Scott, Ken Gioffre, Nick Bariluk, Chris Morrison, Colin Tilton and others.

In addition to his books, Dave has also filmed 60 video rock bass lessons for WorkshopLive.com. Check out Dave’s WorkshopLive page at www.workshoplive.com/teachers/dave-overthrow.html
    You can find Dave's personal web-site at www.daveoverthrow.com

Dave attended Berklee College of Music in Boston Mass and holds a Bachelor of Music Degree in Jazz Bass from Western CT State University. He is currently the Head of Jazz Studies at the Canterbury School in New Milford CT.

Dave offers several bass seminars each summer at the National Guitar Workshop’s CT and Los Angeles campuses.

Dave plays Ron Blake Handmade Basses, DR Handmade Bass Strings and SWR Amplifiers.

Instructional products by Dave:

Books
    Beginning Electric Bass (19362)
    Intermediate Electric Bass (19359)
    Mastering Electric Bass (19356)
    30 Day Bass Workout (20398)
    Slap & Pop Bass (21904)
    Beginning Blues Bass (22561)
    Beginning Bass For Adults
    Total Jazz Bass (soon to be released)

Instructional DVD's
    Beginning Electric Bass (Complete Electric Bass Method)
    Beginning Blues Bass
    30 Day Bass Workout

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    excellent! i've exchanged several emails regarding his ron blake (who worked for years under the tutelage of carl thompson) 'claw' basses and he's been extremely informative...dave's an excellent bassist...a real pro, guys...thanks, paul!

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Wow, crazy. Hi Dave, it's Ian U. from CT!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Welcome to TB Dave! Glad to see you finally made it.

You certainly made an impact on my playing at NGW a few years back.

5. Hey Ian. What's happenin' How's Berklee? I am going into Boston on Friday and will be there for the weekend. I'm taking some of my students to complete in the high school jazz festival. Paul D. on bass. We will be performing at 2:00. Maybe we'll see you there. Good to hear from you. Maybe I'll see you over the summer. I'll be in the National Guitar Workshop L.A. campus in early July with Stu Hamm and the CT c ampus in late July when Billy Sheehan will stop in. Maybe we can hook up in Boston. Give a call.

Peace,
    Dave

6. Hey Tim, How are you doing man? Good to hear from you. I hope the bass is going well. Maybe I'll see you at NGW this summer. Keep in touch.

Peace,
    Dave

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Wow Dave, just read some of your posts and want to thank you for the info. Well written. The whole solo on 1 string; I taught myself guitar and when I started to play some lead while my old man would strum that is all I would do. I didn't know any scales so I played what sounded good, all on one string. That is exactly how I learned how to improvise during solos. Awesome stuff, feed me more I'm hungry!!

Thanks again

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Berklee's going alright. Unfortunately I have a midterm at 2 and then I'm catching a ride home for spring break, unless the weather prevents it. In which case I'll definitely check out the jazz fest. I have your home number, but can you PM your cell? I'll definitely stop by NGW at some point, but I have to plan it to coincide with John Patittucci's clinic, since I'll be staying in Boston holding down a job over the summer.

By the way, is Paul interested in playing upright? I'm selling mine to make room for my new one.

9. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Undercatch!
    This is Steve Winston, Colin Aberdeen's buddy and fellow faculty alum from the old NGSW.
    I was actually in the studio with the Phantom tonight when we saw the welcome post on the front page of TB.

Needless to say we were a bit stoked by your new position!

This is well deserved, and long overdue. You'll never meet a finer player/teacher than Dave!

Best wishes for your new forum.

Steve

PS, I see Sharon is also on the workshop live roster. Do you have an e-mail for Ms. Bass? I've been trying to track her down for ages, and since Paula has left the workshop I couldn't get a contact there either. I'm old now Dave, so few of the folks that were there during my run are still around, lol.

PPS, Can you believe R.L. and all those tunes for Alison Krauss and Chet Atkins and everything? Who woulda thunk it?

10. Great to hear! Keep up the playing.

11. Hey Steve!

Great to hear from you. Tell Colin I said HEY!
    You guys should try to make it up this summer for a day.

Peace,
    Dave

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Hello Dave;

I leanred slap/pop bass from your excellent book.

Jazz bass is going to be my next endevour so I am lookign forward to your soon to be released book on this topic.

Welcome to TalkBass!

- John Vice

13. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    When is bass summit week? I bet I could skate down on a weekday. Is Pancho Y Gringos still there?

Sure would like to say hello to the whole crew, it's been ages!

14. Hey John, Hope your slappin' is gettin' groovy!

Peace,
    Dave

15. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    Welcome to the site, Dave. I'm looking forward to learning from your involvement in the forums.

16. Thanks for the welcome SmittyG

Peace,
    Dave

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hi David - glad to see you over here.

I have some of your books, and they are among the very finest out there.

18. Hey Frank, Thanks for the word on the books. Oh, and I dig Law & Order too!

Peace,
    Dave

19. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    its like an ngw reunion over here. haha. good times RAing at the sheehan dorms.

-Trent

20. Isaac Young

Isaac Young

Jul 14, 2009
    [Hello,

I was wandering if I could get some simple advice.. I've been a gigging bassist for 2 years.. I am not a technical person, but do want to sound professional. I don't trust the guys in the music shop, they seem to do their best to make me feel stupid and naive and can be quite patronizing. I need some guidance!

I have just bought my first pedal. (the Boss bass equalizer) I use a modest £300 amp (without an equalizer) I'm getting quite a boost but haven't stuck on a particular sound just yet.. I was interested in a sansamp bass driver DI, but the equalizer was cheaper and I heard it basically does the same thing as the sansamp...

Is this true? I basically want a clear bouncy bass sound like the Smiths, or similar to Kings of Leon, Klaxons..

Is the fact I have a modest bass amp hindering me already, or do the pedals take you there even with an amp like mine?