1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intro and a 61 Fender Stack Knob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tizzdizz, Oct 9, 2010.

1. tizzdizz

tizzdizz

Nov 23, 2008
    Hey guys, I'm a drummer who's always wanted to play bass. I decided 2 weeks ago to give it another go and not let myself get discouraged. I borrowed my Dad's bass from my brother and have been making progress ever since. I'm really enjoying it so far and hope to start taking lessons as soon as we can afford it.

Anyway, I've found some good resources for learning material, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to all advice.

The bass I'm playing was my Dad's until he passed away when I was 11. He gigged with it for 20+ years, and it helped buy our first home. I know it's a shame from a collector's point of view that it has been refinished, but I wouldn't change a thing about it, it's one of our most prized possessions and our favorite memento of Dad.

From what I gather, this is a somewhat rare bass, and I thought I'd share some pictures of it. My brother and I took it into the local Fender Custom Shop and they checked it out and said it was in great working order, and that they'd gig it that night if they could. It actually generated a good amount of interest amongst the employees there lol. The only thing that has been done to this in the last 20+ years since my dad passed is a new set of strings a year or so ago.

We have the original case and chrome for it too, but the case has seen better days and both latches are broken. Where can I get replacement latches that are correct for the case? How hard are they to replace? Sorry the case is dirty, it just got pulled out of storage.

Edit: I found this latch but I don't know if it would work of if there's a better option out there. http://www.ecrater.com/p/2988563/cheney-latch-for-fender-stratocaster-schecter

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Hum. I sure wouldnt pay the price for vintage latches or nothing like that for fixing the case. Better to just buy a new one. Which btw may be more padded etc for protecting it. Is a nice bass btw. Buying nice new case for it would be kinda nice if you can afford the $12o or so for it. Heres a very nice one imo for just 121.49 http://accessories.musiciansfriend....-Bass-Case-for-P-and-Jstyle-Basses?sku=544574

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I say new case. leave the original as is.

Awesome bass, and story!

4. I have never even seen a stack pots one for real and your learning to ply on one!
    Thats great! I hope you keep at it.... Play that thing

5. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Inactive Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    Thats a beautiful bass and its great your carrying on your Dads legacy.The case is wrong for that bass.They were issued with brown cases till around 63.then white,then black lastly around 65 or so.If your Dad was a pro player,he more than likely beat the crap out of the original case and replaced it in the early 70's with that black one and proceeded to beat the crap out of that one too lol.But that is what a case is for to protect your bass.Never get rid of that bass my friend!Keep it in the family:)

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Beautiful! Not many of those left anymore it seems.

Gig it if you want, but keep an eye on it. I hear about stuff getting stolen from bars all the time, especially here in the city. I won't gig my 62 P for the fear that someone would snatch it up, and worse, sell it to a pawn shop for $300 thinking its some MIM Fender or something :scowl:

7. tizzdizz

tizzdizz

Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks guys. That's interesting to hear about the case. I never thought much about the fact that they may not match.

There is a soft case for it, but I think a new hard case is a good idea. I'm really only starting out, but if I were to ever gig, it wouldn't be with this. I actually want to figure out a way to insure it, but don't know how to go about that.

I guess it's nice to have this bass to learn on, but at the same time, I hate worrying about every move I make hoping I wont knock it on any furniture etc while carrying it around. If I get a bit of extra money, I may look into a used Squier something or other for practicing purposes.

After bringing it into the guitar shop here and seeing their reaction to it, I'm pretty fearful of something happening to this thing. One employee offered me 3k on the spot, but after their guru told me he'd value it somewhere around 8k and insure it for 10, I kinda questioned his lowball offer. Besides, this thing ain't goin' nowhere!

8. that bass is gorgeous! welcome to playing bass, I started a few months ago after playing guitar for 10+ years

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    JUST AWESOME!!! (you have been blessed)
    i would love to have that bass. my '62RI is my fav. gl.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021