Intro and a word of praise for Mr. MP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moog_pt, May 1, 2003.

1. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Hi everybody. I'm relatively new to TB (been lurking around for a few months, though) and would like to say hi to everyone.

So far, some of the posts here have been mighty helpful with some questions I had regarding amplification. The search feature is my buddy ;)

The praise bit I'd like to let you all know regards Matt Pulcinella, of MPG. I've bought a bass from him a few months ago, had never played one before but from the deal I got price-wise and from the specs posted in his website, the bass was appealing enough for me to dive in a purchase. You can check it out on his website under "Sold Basses" - it's the only one sold to my country, heh heh ...

Anyway, it was shipped by FedEx, and after an odyssey of customs clearance it was delivered. You can imagine my shock when I found that it had been damaged in transit. Nothing really serious, it was just that the guys unloading it from the airplane must have tried to play contact sports with it. Though it was inside a hardcase (a standard, resistant molded plastic - SKB style) and the hardcase had loads of packing material around it AND a cardboard package, about a hands width bigger than the case, the headstock came flying off the case, permanently bending the aluminium binding and causing a severe mark to the headstock. You can imagine the amount of energy required to do this.

I contacted Mike Pulcinella, he got in touch with the FedEx people and received a few hundred dollars of idemnity (sp?) payment. I told Mike I would keep the bass, since it was a minor cosmetic damage, and suggested that we split the value. He credited the whole sum to my account. I know exactly how much he got, since the FedEx representatives over here notified me of the value. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't see this kind of behavior very often - ANYWHERE, even in other kinds of business. I think this is something that can really make THE difference when you make business with someone. If I need or just plain crave a new bass, it will certainly come from this guy.

So after a few months playing the bass and making my own setup to the bass, I can honestly say this is a truly fine instrument. The quilted maple looks gorgeous, the Aero pickups are amazing, as is the low B - 35'' scale does make a difference, even if it took me a while to get used to it.

To conclude an already long post, Hi.

PS: I don't know if this should be posted in 'basses', so mods feel free to move this to where it belongs.

PPS: After reading the comments you guys left for a newbie the other day, I'd just like to know: is JT's mullet imaginary too? ;)
  2. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Sorry - I meant Matt, not Mike. oops.
  3. ah...
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification

It`s a mohawk.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Anyone ever play Matt's Jazz 5? I looks bitchin'!