Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intro/Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paddy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Hi All,

New boy here. Getting back into gigging after a couple of years break and found this site - nice. Been playing for quite a few years now in the pubs and clubs of south east england while trying to hold down a full-time job as a applications developer.

I'm looking at my rig with a view to upgrading the cab. I always felt that the Hartke transporter 4x10 (coupled to a Hartke HA3500 head) was the weak link - personal opinion is that it can't quite cut it. I'm looking to replace this with another 4x10 (probably a 4 ohm goliath III). I like a nice punchy mid/bottom sound that cuts through so the 4x10 seems ideal for me.

However, I wanted to know if this breed of 2x10 combos or even these small 2x10 cabs can really cut it live. The idea of turning up with a Redhead or Metro does appeal to the laziness in me :D

Any and all responses welcome

Later
    Paddy

2. Hey Paddy, welcome.

The "Best 4x10 or 2x10" debate is done routinely here, so all opinions will vary. The Goliath is a nice cabinet, but for all around sound (full, rich, with great highs) I'd suggest the Eden 4x10. It tends to do big low end just a little better than the SWR.

For 2x10's, people here swear by the new Schroeder cabinets. There's a Schroeder SUPER-MEGA thread around here somewhere that goes into detailed reviews of all the cabinets, but for a small 2x10 or 1x12/1x10 cabinet, the Schroeders are huge on sound.

You could also split the difference and go with a high quality 3x10 from Epifani or Bergantino.