1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Intro/Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paddy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Hi All,

New boy here. Getting back into gigging after a couple of years break and found this site - nice. Been playing for quite a few years now in the pubs and clubs of south east england while trying to hold down a full-time job as a applications developer.

I'm looking at my rig with a view to upgrading the cab. I always felt that the Hartke transporter 4x10 (coupled to a Hartke HA3500 head) was the weak link - personal opinion is that it can't quite cut it. I'm looking to replace this with another 4x10 (probably a 4 ohm goliath III). I like a nice punchy mid/bottom sound that cuts through so the 4x10 seems ideal for me.

However, I wanted to know if this breed of 2x10 combos or even these small 2x10 cabs can really cut it live. The idea of turning up with a Redhead or Metro does appeal to the laziness in me :D

Any and all responses welcome

Later
    Paddy

2. Hey Paddy, welcome.

The "Best 4x10 or 2x10" debate is done routinely here, so all opinions will vary. The Goliath is a nice cabinet, but for all around sound (full, rich, with great highs) I'd suggest the Eden 4x10. It tends to do big low end just a little better than the SWR.

For 2x10's, people here swear by the new Schroeder cabinets. There's a Schroeder SUPER-MEGA thread around here somewhere that goes into detailed reviews of all the cabinets, but for a small 2x10 or 1x12/1x10 cabinet, the Schroeders are huge on sound.

You could also split the difference and go with a high quality 3x10 from Epifani or Bergantino.