Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intro to Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is a cool little website that includes most of the major styles of electronic music in the past few years, as well as highlighting the key elements of it. Cool sound clips

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's pretty sweet. Now if we could get one of those for metal, the world would be a much better place. :D

3. Very cool page. There should be one for rock, from metal to punk to pop to whatever. Pretty funny stuff and cool sound clips.

EDIT: Check out Techno/VGM/Sample 3.... Top Gear!! The best electronic song ever created! This forgotten gem stands among the best video game songs of all time! Whooo!!!

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Good site overall, though he doesn't go any further back then Kraftwerk or Terry Riley (no Carlos, Subotnick, Varese, Cage, etc.).

The funniest part is when you listen to the examples of all those silly subgenres how similar they all are...four on the floor kick drum at 120 bpm.

No wonder I could never figure out what anyone was talking about in record reviews of electronic dance music.

5. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Heh :)

I used to help run a electronica/industrial music review site - I mostly did the design and webmonkeying side of things, but tried to write the occasional review as well. After a while I gave up trying to write reviews because, well, I ran out of variations on the phrase "abrasive beats over lush ambient chords" (I'm not really into the more dance-oriented stuff). In the end I stopped even attempting to try and went back to just enjoying the music.

The guy who wrote the bulk of the reviews ended up pretty much describing what the music sounded like without actually expressing an opinion on whether it was any good.

(Now Playing: the "Everything Is Green" compilation from Toytronic - great stuff. Lots of abrasive beats over lush ambient chords...)

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    great site!

electro <3

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    except for noizecore :(
    i'm quite a fan of noizecore in the right setting.

and how can he classify vnv nation as synthpop!?

8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Slight misunderstanding - "the guy" I was talking about was the one I used to do a website with, not the one who's done the EDM Guide (which I've not actually looked at this time round, but remember seeing a while back).

VNV are synthpop because it saves on arguments. (Old joke: how many industrial music fans does it take to change a lightbulb. All of them. One to change it, the rest to argue about what subgenre it's in.)

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ah i see :p
    haha, i have heard that joke before but it's still funny.

are there any ebm clubs in scotland?

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    There's a bit of a Scottish scene and a few club nights in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and wherever else. I'm not really involved, but a few of my mates are:
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_industria/

There tends to be a fair chunk of bitching goes on between various factions, but it's mostly good-humoured. Mostly...