1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

intro to new member and a couple builds

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by black_labb, Mar 8, 2008.

1. hi guys, im a new member at talk bass. i play guitar and have been getting pretty into bass over the past year. ive built a couple guitars and a bass, along with 4 other builds on the way.

heres the bass that ive made. its virtually finished, just need to do the pickup cover (there is a lip shaped one on the bridge, but i decided to go for a rectangular one, they will be stained red to match the fret markers) as well as the electronics cover and some final sanding and then danish oil it. the neck is a multilaminate one piece neckthrough design. sounds comfusing, but its just like a 1pc maple neck on a fender, but with different pieces of wood. the timbers are new guinea rosewood -wenge -zebrano -wenge -newguinea rosewood. i stained the zebrano instead of fretmarkers. the body wings are ng rosewood as well, as its cheap in australia and has a good tone, and looks pretty interesting. im winding the pickups myself. they have around half the winds of most pickups to get a flatter freq response, and ive put in a simple preamp (stratoblaster) to get the output higher. the preamp isnt working atm as ive left the wires longer than nessisary as i havent finished the wiring (missing a pup) and some wires have been pulled out as i dont have a cover on the back yet.

4sbass.

im also making a 5 string which has a bubinga-maple-bubinga-maple bubinga neck. i cut the back of the neck on the bandsaw to get the part that i will used as the fretboard, to get the continuous laminates through the whole instrument. it will have a tasmanian myrtle body and ill make some completely passive pickups for it using some alnico rod magnets (which is what i used in the other bass as well. here is the timber for it so far.

5sbasstimber.

ive also just finished a 6 string bass, with a 25" scale and played an octave higher at eadgbe. :)

walnutguitarfront.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Very nice. I like the laminate-thru idea. (To see the best of those I've seen, look up Tm Barber's old site.) And the stained block "markers."

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    lol. nice "bass" for the last one

4. just had a look at his stuff, very clean and good designs. i hadnt seen the 1pc laminate design before, but i didnt think that i was the first to do it either.

5. Not the cleanest looking work that I have seen (better pictures might revile otherwise), but they look very playable.

lowsound