Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introduce me to Reggae

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From the little reggae that ive heard, i like it. Wat other reggae is out there that has decent/good instrumentals too.,

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without knowing what reggae you have already heard, I would suggest one of my favorite reggae groups Steel Pulse.
    Of course, the king of reggae was Bob Marley.

If you do a search on Google or Yahoo! you will discover there are many reggae web sites. Several of those have reggae "radio" stations you can listen to. These web sites will tell you who are some of the current popular reggae artists and will explain the different styles of reggae and the history and development of the genre.

I prefer the "classic" reggae myself, but there are many styles you will want to explore from Buju Banton to Shaggy and many, many in between.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Other resources you may want to check out

iTunes music store
    www.allmusic.com
    www.cdbaby.com

Also, a lot of ska bands are heavily influenced from reggae, so that's another avenue to check out.

Edit: I just checked out Steel Pulse, very awesome, thanks bop

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can't go wrong with Toots and the Maytalls-very fun music, although not many are instrumentals. Not too many reggae instumentals period, because the lyrics are usually very important in most groups.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Figjam, this is Reggae; Reggae, Figjam. You two talk for a bit, I'm going to go raid the cheese platter.

6. RickJames

RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    BEST INSTRUMENTAL or "DUB" REGGAE ALBUM TO COME OUT LATELY IS BAD BRAINS "I n I SURVIVED".....GREAT STUFF!

7. RickJames

RickJames

Mar 2, 2004
    also check out Yellowman, Peter tosh, Lee Scratch Perry, Supercat or Barrington Levy.....

8. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    with respect to playing reggae, it's all mutes and very rythmic basslines.

9. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    for heavy dub peep out:
    Dub Syndicate
    Augustus Pablo
    King Tubby
    Scratch Perry
    Sly & Robbie Taxi Gang

for a great Reggae backing band, Roots Radics may very well
    be my personal favorite. Bassist Flabba Holt, Drummer Style Scott and the rest of the crew are straight wicked. They have classic albums with Israel Vibrations, Culture, Yellowman, Michigan and Smiley etc.... and of course ya can't go wrong with Marley, Tosh, Black Uhuru (during the Michael Rose days backed by Sly and Robbie) and one of my all time favs Burning Spear (all his live albums are exceptional)... Hope this helps, give thanks and praise...

Irie

10. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    Get the Trojan box sets. They have (all from about the 60's-70's) dub, rocksteady, reggae, ska, and some other jamacian music syles. They come on both CD and Vinyl.

11. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    +1!!

the trojan boxed sets are a good way to sample a lot of Reggae for not a lot of money. 3CDs/50ish tunes per boxed set, $17 at my local Border's. Getting into Reggae is like getting into jazz... before you begin you think it's all basically the same, then you realise it's such a diverse genre that you can't figure out where to start.

Once you've gone through 3 or 4 of the Trojan sets you'll start to get a feel for what sort of sounds you like, and will have some more direction next time you're at the record shop.

have fun!!

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Like Bob said, Bob Marley is the king of Raggae. If you dont have the "Legend" cd you should go out and buy it. Babylon by bus is also a must have IMO.

Steel Pulse is also another good Reggae group. Check out a song titled "Steppin Out" by them. Very good, deep bass tones with a good bass line.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Black Uhuru is one of my fav. Sly & Robbie playing Bass & drums and I mostly dig the 80's stuff that Puma sang on. She had a cool voice :( she passed on in 90 though

14. Everything here is good to check out, but also check out anything you can find by Defacto (crazy spacey dub).

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Some very R&B inspired, more "mainstream" reggae can be found from my personal favorite reggae band Third World. I recommend their album "The Story's Been Told" from 1979.

16. Well, I listen to reggae since I was 9 years old. Here I give you some classic reggae albums that you should listen.

[​IMG]
    Bob Marley & The Wailers - Talkin' Blues

[​IMG]
    Peter Tosh - Legalize It

[​IMG]
    The Meditations - Greatest Hits

[​IMG]
    Culture - Two Sevens Clash

[​IMG]
    Israel Vibration - Same Song

[​IMG]
    Midnite - Unpolished

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    They are good. I have one of their CD's that I downloaded. Dont remember the name of it though. Sly & Robbie are a very good rhythm sec.