Introducing me...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jtcdrums, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jtcdrums

jtcdrums

Dec 28, 2007
    Hi bass people,

First up, I'm a drummer. I have come here as I feel there is probably more value to be had in reading about what bass players look for in their music and their drummers, than chatting with other drummers. A sense of perspective for me is important, and as the bass and drums are intrinsically linked, I reckon I can learn a lot from you guys and maybe even impart a 'drummer perspective' from time to time.

About me: well, I'm based in central Scotland, and have been playing drums since 1987. I have played in a few bands but basically I am in it as a hobby rather than as a profession. Along the way I have of course dabbled with bass playing - I picked up a fretless Steinberger copy and jumped in at the deep end trying to learn bass by copying Jaco Pastorius links. Suffice it to say, I didn't get too far :meh:

I think it's safe to say that, despite being a drummer, I have always loved the bass - the growl of a good bass line, in tandem with a tight drum part, can make the tune.

What I'm hoping to get out of all of this is the 'inside track' on how best to work with a bass player to get the best rhythm track for the song, and how to get to that 'locked in' state which I find elusive at present (my band's bass player being from the somewhat 'loose' end of the technique scale). Also, as I get more and more interested in recording, I'm trying to setup a few little projects and (once ready) would be pleased as punch to make a few new bass friends and maybe even do some (remote) recording if that's of interest.

OK, that'll do by way of introduction, John's the name, drums is the game but hopefully I will be able to add something positive to these forums if you'll let me.

A' the best!

john

2. dhemstra

dhemstra

Nov 10, 2007
    Welcome John. I hope you get lot out of this forum. :)

3. In a nutshell, drummers that I enjoy playing with have a few things in common:

Very solid internal sense of time
    Listen while they play
    Know the style that we are playing in
    Know something about something other than drums
    Typically, they play less and they play quieter

Hope that helps

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    to that I will add ...

a sense of dynamics from both a volume and quantity level.

a sense of flash - you gotta have it, know when to use it and when not to ...

I've played with some real drum technicians - guys that could just rock the house with their chops. Serving the song wasn't always on the agenda though... me I prefer to play with musicians who happen to choose drums as their instrument.

Ringo, Charlie Watts, Bun E. Carlos, Brian Blades, Cuba Estrada, David Garabaldi - those guys get or got how to work the song. Actually Brady Blades (Brian's bro ?) would be there as well for his work with Spyboy. It's a near endless list of great players that many drummers will overlook for their lack of flash...

Brady at work
    Brian at work

nice work if you can get it ...
    My choices are obviously tainted by my r&b, rock 'n roll roots. There are so many good tasteful jazz guys out there DeJohnette being my fav but he's one amongst many.

Of the drummers I've worked with over the years - the best were those that also sing.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Good solid groove (play like a drum machine)
    Keep it simple (constant drum rolls and cymbal bashing does not work)
    Good command of dynamics (know when to 'simma down na')
    Allow the bassist to lock in (never change up the groove or speed up/slow down)

6. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    all important stuff mentioned here. A great sense of time has to be #1 on the list. After that, a great ear for listening to the bassist "signals" if you want to call them that. Know when he is trying to tell you something with his dynamics and note selection.

7. dhemstra

dhemstra

Nov 10, 2007
    something else I find VERY important, is being a leader. Listening but not getting distracted. Confidence in every note played, when you make a mistake, make it.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Zippy sighting!!!

9. That could be fun.
    Imagine posting a 30 second drum line and seeing what people could do with it.

10. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Decent grammar, spelling... Are you sure you're the drummer? :D Just kidding.

Welcome to TB.

What I personally dig in a drummer is one who listens to the bass. A lot of drummers don't and tend to overplay.

11. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I'd be interested!! I keep hunting for drum tracks online but the few I've found were... meh.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021