Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introducing myself and my project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Oct 8, 2004.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Hi boardmembers,
    I've been reading this forum for a month or so. I'm a Finnish elementary school teacher and have the possibility to use all the machines we have at school.
    It's been a pleasure to look and read about basses you've made. I started a new bass after 10 years of no instrument making at all. This one has the shape of Cordle bass on MIMF forum. Body is alder with Finnish visa-birch veneer on top. The body is chambered on both wings. Scale length is going to be 32", hardware is Customshopparts individual bridges and SD Quarterpound Jazz pickup with matching wood cover.

I've seen these individual bridges used as string thru-bridge. Does the front screw have enough strength to hold the bridge in place? The string comes thru the rear screw hole. I assume the forces on the bridge are mostly only downwards so there should be no problem or am I missing something? I'm using string ferrules and brass tubing to guide the strings thru the body.

Marko

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  3. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    That's amazing...and for a first timer!?! WOW!!
    You might want to take this to the luthier's corner for some tips, opinions..compliments, whatever. WOW..I can't get over that

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    oops sorry,
    This is the luthier's corner..
    I don't know where my head is. I thought this was the regular bass forum. Sorry again

5. NO, NO, You've come to the right place!!...drag up a chair, and lets talk about this. :cool:

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Well, I think in all likelihood if the string was anchored to ferrules in the back of the body, the screw would hold. Still, these saddle elements were not engineered for this purpose... Is the Hipshot bridge not an option? These are milled with through-body stringing in mind.

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Here's a pic of the bass almost ready.

Marko

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    It's absolutely beautiful. Sort of reminds me of Warwick's Thumb bass + a Fender Starcaster. What kind of finish are you using?

9. Very impressive look, and use of the F-Holes. I like it! :)

10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Very impressive, even more so that you're a first-timer!

BTW, interesting that in Finland the elementary school kids have access to shop class. It wasn't an option for the kids around here until high school.

11. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Finish is Tung oil. I still have to wax and polish the finish.

Kids don't have access to woodworking machines, however they learn to use the most common hand tools (saw, hammer, knife etc) from 7 years on. We teachers can use the power tools to make parts for the kids projects. And just like the gym teacher skis and skates etc. with kids I as a woodwork teacher have to do my own projects to keep my skills alive. My next project will be an acoustic bass guitar with Olsen plans from LMI.

Marko

12. Wow, nice work! Now I definately want to put f-holes on my next project, it looks really good.

The birch looks fantastic, it's really underrated as a top wood. I used flamed birch on my solidbody 4-string and it looks great.

BTW, where in Finland are you? I study in Vaasa an live a bit north.

13. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    As I said before..beautiful!

14. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    scrabadonk: I live in Valkeala, next to Kouvola. Are you writing to muusikoiden.net?

Marko