Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Introducing..... SOLOMON

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Jan 13, 2005.

1. I think Pete Skjold builds a fine looking bass.. whadaya'll think??
    It arrived today, I've only just opened it, and played around with it unplugged... but it is outstandingly GEORGEOUS!!! slightly redder than the pic's show, but not too red. Hopefully things will calm down here at my office, and I can go in the other room and plug it in!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. All I can say is HOLY CRIZZAP!! That thing is quite possibly the most beautiful bass I've ever seen. Sweet score bro

3. Biker,
    That is SWEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!

Is that Thuya burl or Redwood burl? What do you think of those pickups? And the weight - is it heavy?

Pete and Ron are terrific craftsmen! Here's more proof!

Enjoy dude! Make a joyful noise!

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    fantastic. Hope it sounds as good as it looks.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If purdy wasn't a word, I would invent it to describe that bass.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's beautiful but I hope it has side position marker too because the location of those markers would really throw me off. It's still a beautiful piece of work though.

7. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    hey biker i saw that one being built.what an awesome bass.i pick my fretless from pete this week.i love the way these basses play.cant wait to hear your full report.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That is a beauiful bass! I played my first Skjold last weekend. It was a SC5 bolt on, at the Atlanta Bass Gallery. Pete is really talented and seeing and playing a bass up close you really can see how well crafted his basses are.

If the neck feels anything like the one I checked out... you are in for a treat. The Knob layout looks the same, but what are the guts? That passive tone-control really dials in some cool tone!

Congrats man!

9. Biker;

Congrats, I am sure it'll sound and plays at least as great as it looks. Pete just called me up and informed me that my 6 string fretless will be at my place Monday :hyper:

10. Wow! Amazing top on that bass. Congrats and enjoy!

11. Hey... do ya'll mind... I'm trying to play spend some quality time with the bass.:D

O.K. here's some answers to the questions.

It is a redwood burl top, with Bloodwood board. It has The new Skjold preamp and pickups. And it is the lightest bass I've ever owned (except for A/E hollow basses.) Probably somewhere close to 8 pounds in weight. What it lacks in weight it more than makes up for in tone. Pete's new elctronics are completely undescribeable. Really!!. And on fretless... it's even better. The tonal possibilities seem to be endless. The midrange is amazing. Sweepable, and just the slightest turn make a huge difference. WOW!!!! Passive mode is great as well.:cool: I'm really gonna have to spend hours playing this baby to get to know all that it can do. Oh... and who says you can't slap a fretless???? This one seems to really like it!!!!

My favorite thing about the bass.... (other than the fact that I think it's stunning to look at) is the NECK!!!! It's smooth, effortless, easy, and oddly familiar. And it does have side markers on it... just because I was too chicken to leave them off.

There were some issues that came up while Pete was building the bass. He always called me immediately, never tried to hide anything from me, and always had a solution for whatever the problems were. They were all minor issues, but Pete always went way beyond what was necessary to make sure I was happy.

O.K... there's the initial lovefest report. Were doing a little deal at church tonight, and I'm going to play this one only. Then, I've got band rehearsal after that as we get ready for a three shows this weekend. So by Monday.. I should have a lot better idea of what the bass is TRULY like. But until then... I'll just gush over it, and say how much I love it, and all that overly positive stuff all of us do when we get a new bass.

And for those of you about to get your bass from Pete in the next few days..... I hope yours exceeds your expectations the way this one has for me so far.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man, oh man, Henry! That is beautiful. Pete knows how to build 'em. I need to go and pay him a visit. Maybe I can lick Jorg's new bass before it is shipped.:D

14. i would hit it....I mean, uhh, play . :)

15. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    That bass is just Beautiful! My favorite part is the cool lookin' string-tree :D

I only live 125 miles from you and I have about 12 basses ... Uh lets see here, I wonder what I could trade for your new toy :p :D

Enjoy it Brother :bassist:

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Major score! It's a beauty. My next custom, if there ever is one, will have a redwood top. I'm jealous, ENJOY your bass!!

17. Jeff;

you're too late, Pete is shipping it out this morning :D

18. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Absolutely Beautiful!!!

Congratulations on that beauty. The top wood is stunning.

Mikey/

19. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Yeah, Jeff your too late I already licked it :D